We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems after recovery and Cclean hard drive wipes.

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have recovered the system and "wiped" the C & D drives on a laptop and now I am having problems with certain programmes, I cant download the Paint.net programme as it says my service pack is not up to date, I have: version 5.12600 Service pack 2 build 2600 - installed on the laptop. Is there a download for Paint.net that IS compatible with the service pack that I have on my laptop or how can I alter it, safely, to accomodate the Paint.net programme, I am also having problems in that I cannot get the PCadvisor log on page to open on the laptop, it just stays on the ad. banner page and will not load the log-on page (but I can log on on this computer connected to the same router, I have been told there could be an issue with updates, how can I see if I have got the correct windows updates on the laptop? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I have just tried to download the windows service pack 3, following all the instructions and then at the end of the whole rigmarole it comes up with "page cannot be displayed, try another page" - Oh, its a pain in the a**e this whole rigmarole!! LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I have just tried to download the windows service pack 3, following all the instructions and then at the end of the whole rigmarole it comes up with "page cannot be displayed, try another page" - Oh, its a pain in the a**e this whole rigmarole!! LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I assume you have reinstalled all the drivers for the laptop after installing Windows XP?

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

How do I do that?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE, I have also tried to alter the time that the laptop goes into the "screensaver" mode - its going into standby on screensave every 5 mins. and I want to make it NOT go into screensaver at all, but when going into control panel, poweroptions that wont open at all. Very weird this. makes me wish I had never started all this!!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Screen saver Turn on/off.

As for the drivers these will need to be either installed if you got a disk with your laptop or you will need to go to the laptop makers website and download them. This will be why you are probably having problems as the motherboard etc drivers will probably be missing.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

laptopdunce (as far as I can gather from the earlier thread) restored the laptop to factory settings. This should have included all the drivers required - but would of course require Windows updates.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

SeaUrchin: Yes, I restored it to the orginal factory settings with the Acer recovery disks, this was done once before in the past and all was OK, I have managed to alter the time that the screensaver picture comes on, by going into appearance & themes in control panel and then display properties and choosing screensaver and altering the time in minutes till the screensave pic. comes on. Its mainly this Service pack 3 that I cant get to download, I have been into the windows help page and followed all the instrctions to download the SP3 but then when I click "run" to install it it comes up with a big red CROSS and "page cannot be displayed" - very odd as I am getting internet OK for all other sites (except I cant log on to PCadvisor at all from the laptop, wont even open the home page, only top ad. banner) thanks LAPTODUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

In those Screensaver options you describe instead of altering the number of minutes you should select NONE from the drop down menu above the minutes box. Then as you wanted you wont have a screensaver at all.

With regard to Service Pack 3 that will not download until you have all obtained the other necessary Windows Update downloads that it depends on.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Windows should offer the updates to you in the correct sequence.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers