We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems after recovery and Cclean hard drive wipes.

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have recovered the system and "wiped" the C & D drives on a laptop and now I am having problems with certain programmes, I cant download the Paint.net programme as it says my service pack is not up to date, I have: version 5.12600 Service pack 2 build 2600 - installed on the laptop. Is there a download for Paint.net that IS compatible with the service pack that I have on my laptop or how can I alter it, safely, to accomodate the Paint.net programme, I am also having problems in that I cannot get the PCadvisor log on page to open on the laptop, it just stays on the ad. banner page and will not load the log-on page (but I can log on on this computer connected to the same router, I have been told there could be an issue with updates, how can I see if I have got the correct windows updates on the laptop? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Seaurchin: Right, I will alter the minutes on the screensaver to zero. I dont know how to see if I have had the windows updates in the right order??? I have set it to receive automatic updates and it shows a window that says they are loaded at 0300 hours each day. Laptopdunce

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Chronus: thanks for that link, I have selected "none" for the screensaver, so that the page stays on. Laptopdunce

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Download the .iso for SP3 and burn it to CD/DVD then run it from the CD/DVD ClickHere

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

After SP3 is installed, have a look at which version of Internet Explorer you have. I would think you need to update IE7 to IE8. (not IE9 as that is not compatible with XP)

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

XP was usually installed with IE6 so you would definitely need to upgrade

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

This is very weird I cant seem to download properly that iso. file that Ltvic sent the link for (am using a vista laptop to download the file as I cant get into a PCadvisor site on the other laptop) it did download but came out as a VLC media player file, I'm sure I didnt have to go through this rigmarole the last time this happened, I just cant understand why the auto updates thing wont install the SP3 despite the "sytem" saying that I am running : version 5.12600 Service pack 2 build 2600 : on the XP laptop. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If you have managed to download SP3 .ISO but it come up as VLC file: download this then right click your SP3 download and click on open with and then go and find this program,it might be that you will not need to and the program might have found it anyway.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I have downloaded the SP3 iso. file twice now and once to CD and once to a USB stick, from this Vista laptop and also from the XP laptop and both times they have downloaded with a VLC media player icon on the file when downloaded, this surely cant be right?? I cant get it to just download in this form. LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yeah, you've prob got VLC as the default for .iso if you haven't got a little prog that burns .iso files installed on pc. (VLC can read .iso, but that's not what you want in this instance) Download the one from Chronus link or get ImgBurn (free).

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Yes, I just missed that post from Chronus, I have used his link and done the transfer using the download link he sent to make the VLC file into an iso. file on a CD, going to try it now in the XP laptop - GAWD what an AWFUL NIGHTMARE These horrible computers are!! why cant they make this all AUTOMATIC!!?? its a real pain!!! I think this must be done on purpose to frustrate and exasperate mere mortals, specially people like me who'se name says it all about their computer knowledge!! I hope this CD isnt going to be another DISASTER!!! I so pig sick of this damn thing now. Laptopdunce

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...