We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Phone Scammers (Claiming to be Micrososoft) Still Current

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just an update for any that may not of heard of the scam.

The unavailable/out of area telephone calls with regard to "This is Microsoft .... your PC is infected" scam is still ongoing. I have had at least 5 calls in the last two days from them offering to fix my PC - and I'm certain it would have been fixed.

For those who need to know how to deal with them there are many suggestions in these forums. I either leave them to talk to themselves or tell them to wait whilst I fire up the PC which will take a long time!!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have three PC's yet have not had one phone call,I feel quite unloved.Sob.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

This was reported a couple of days ago

see thread

Like this post  
johndrew

Likes # 0

Chronus

Wish I was unloved by these callers.

Like this post
derrickross

Likes # 0

Got a call like that, too, and I was alarmed that the caller actually had my name and phone number. And he knew I got a Windows pc, too.

I'm wondering if these people actually stalk their victims before they call them. That'd explain how they knew so much about me.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

derrickross, I doubt very much that they knew you had a Windows PC, it's just odds on that you have.

Like this post
derrickross

Likes # 0

I have already reported the caller to http://www.callercenter.com and I'm wondering if it's necessary to file a complaint with the FTC.

What do you think?

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

If you search on line you can get phone number, name and address of nearly every body including ex-directory numbers so it is just a matter of choosing a name and phoning all the ones that come up. I was quite suppressed when I put in my surname and it all came up and I am ex-directory .

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Suprised that should have been

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...