We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new wireless modem router query

pookie

Likes # 0

Dear all,

A friend is after a new wireless modem router for a BT phoneline. Ideally he wants 300Mbps wireless speed and range as wireless devices are used on two different floors and also in garden and a 1Gb ethernet port speed as has 500Mbps homeplugs. He is after something that you can get in Maplins or Argos for less than £100.

Any recommendations?

Thank you

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

If they are with BT as their ISP the BT Homehub meets all those requirements as far as I know. If they aren't who is the ISP?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here. Bought mine six months ago and no problems what so ever. Easier to set up manually rather than the CD I think. Reading the Amazon reviews I raised the router a few millimeters on two sticks of wood so there's airflow beneath the router just in case it heats up too much. Wireless is very good in the garden and 1st floor. Don't know how it would be on the second floor though. Read the good and bad reviews. Good luck.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Thank you. He was on Tiscali and got a free wireless modem 54Mbps router then (years ago) and is now with Talktalk. He didn't get a new modem router when he switched to them but has since bought a 150N wireless modem router himself.

rdave 13 - blooming cheap that! Looks a real bargain but it only has 10/100 ethernet and he is after 10/100/1000

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I would check if Talk Talk will supply him with a free router that meets the specification.

rdave13's link also showed slightly more expensive routers under "what others bought after viewing this item" at about £45 that did have gigabit ethernet. Have another look!

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Then, to update on Rdave's suggestion, try this router. 10/100/1000, and excellent range. I use these at one location, and they are great. Also, if you want longer range still, they are easy to use with WDS devices from the same range (the 830, if memory serves).

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Oh, where's the edit when you need it... just realised, not ADSL for the 1043.. apologies!

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

thank you all. I didn't realise you could get things like this as cheap!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Same router at Novatech (gig ethernet), with £3 delivery for £43, link. To be honest I only bought the other router as a standby for my D-Link. That was months ago but it's come about that the D-Link is now the standby one. These are cheap enough for a standby, as routers do break.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Thank you. Silly question - is that wireless router in the last link a wireless modem router or are they different things? He currently has a N150 wireless modem router

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's a router , so you will need a modem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014