We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't Open Links in eMail

Potchboy

Likes # 0

I am unable to open links in e-mails which I receive. The O/s on my PC is Win 7 Home Premium 64bit. I do not have M/s Outlook on my computer and have been using M/s Hotmail for my e-mails and just a few days ago switched to Outlook.com but the same problem persists. My internet browser is IE version 9 (not 64bit) There is no error message shown when I click on a link, nothing happens. I find this very frustrating because whenever I get an e-mail from a website asking me to click on the enclosed link I am right back where I began. Would really appreciate some help on this one. Thanks. Potchboy

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Check that Internet Explorer is the default browser and Outlook is the default email. Start - Default Programs - set your default programs. In Internet Explorer select tools, internet options, advanced tab and select restore advanced settings. Close Outlook and IE and open again. See if that helps.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

hotmail to outlook.com Webmail, there seem to be some issues with links in emails.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

I suppose we ought to learn about the new Outlook.com that is replacing Hotmail ClickHere (what a pain, it'll have to wait for me to have time to absorb it...)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

I wish they hadn't chosen Outlook for their new name for hotmail. It's going to cause confusion and seems to have already done so on this thread.

rdave13 is referring to the Outlook email client.

Are you using webmail (ie viewing your e-mails using IE9)? Opening email links in webmail can be difficult if not impossible. Have you ever been able to open links?

It may be better to revert back to hotmail.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

Usually easier/better to copy the url link from the email and paste it into a new tab in browser.

I also feel the choice of name could have been better. The comments at the bottom of my link to the Blog about Outlook.com are worth reading. Seems there are some problems and confusion all round.

Like this post
CommandJG

Likes # 1

Is it possible that because of security filter? I usually copy the link and open it in new tab.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 1

Some background reading for Outlook.com

Outlook.com

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

I'm using Outlook.com and links are working ok using the 64-bit version of IE. I'm using a Hotmail and Live account. The only thing that had me puzzled for a while was that signing in with the Hotmail account didn't automatically transfer my Live account. So I had to sign in again using my Live account. Now both are set up using this web mail.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

In Set Program Access and Computer Defaults check that Internet Explorer is the default and that "Use my current email program button is dotted".

Like this post
Potchboy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help guys. I am not sure if I have done everything correctly but I am checking the default selections. In reply to rdave13 I did try that but it does not seem to have made a difference.I have not been using the browser for e-mails, only Hotmail but I could never open links here either. Potchboy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...