We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Control Panel is hiding somewhere

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

Trying to help an elderly friend whose family use his computer when visiting him (100 mls away) when visiting him, often leaving changes which confuse him and lose him!

Old PC using still older 14" CRT with XP. No matter it is mainly used for word processing.

Old Epson printer he replaced with a new low-spec. - Canon Pixma

I could make little progress because only once could I find Control Panel and didn't discover the path to CP. It is simply not found as an icon on Desktop. I'm pretty sure the printer is OK, in fact it printed a picture chosen at random using some of the printer's own software. Tried twice to print a short word.doc and gave up when the thing dithered an error light two flashes and a pause.

I think I could sort this by uninstall/delete and clearing all the multimegabyte "Helpful" clutter, then start again to install the printer.

BUT first I want Conrol Panel both visible and accessible?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Now add my thanks to lotvic again

I'm waiting till the time is right to visit again. (Teamviewer in this house is for family only.) The old guy is a bit like my wife and in matters technical tends to "throw Teddy out of the pram."

I'm itching to recover Control Panel, and nervous that when I look at it again I will find a new snag. From memory the Start button on his shows only the left column, though Search and Run are there. I may be wrong, sure hope so.

I haven't measured his monitor but it can't be over 15" and that is cruel. He (I hope) is missing the (very) small print so crucial to the procedure.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Also have a look at No. 224 here.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

His printer now works, it needs a fundamental declaration the paper source is rear feed tray ...... That was why he asked me to help in the first place.

Control Panel is now also visible and working, though I'm less sure how I did it! Dragging CP from the start menu to the desktop was easy, but finding the wretched thing needs me to work through the right click and change the menu from Classic to start.

He's happy, but I'm not because he has no backup, everything in drive C:, and in dire need to clear out huge "Fun" files from Canon and Epson. He just downloaded everything on the accompanying CD I had deleted the Epson (old defunct printer) so it doesn't show as a printer but has left megabytes of useless info.

He has CCleaner loaded and if a third session clearing out rubbish is agreed, I'll feel happier for the little use he gives it.

A hiding to nothing here. He thanks me today, but if the crazy system goes belly up I shall be blamed. A diplomatic brake is applied for a week or two.

Bye the way, the idea of RUN just 'Control' worked but it opened CP by itself and there was no way I could drag and drop a shortcut, and CP still didn't appear on the start menu.

Like this post  
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

By the way, the idea of RUN just 'Control' worked but it opened CP by itself and there was no way I could drag and drop a shortcut, and CP still didn't appear on the start menu.

See my previous post yesterday at 2.09pm; when CP is open just drag the small icon at the top left of the window onto the desktop and there's your shortcut.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

You are right, I have never made a shortcut using such a tiny part of the window for that purpose.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I do it all the time in my browser to make a shortcut to a webpage. You can drag the favicon.ico to desktop or onto Bookmarks folder (FFox) etc. Never occurred to me to use it that way in Windows Explorer though.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

I forgot to say that to display CP in the start menu right click on the Taskbar and select Properties. Select Start Menu tab then click Customise beside Start Menu entry. Then click Advanced tab and then on Start Menu Items select Display as a Link under Control Panel. Click OK - then Apply - then finally OK.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin, see page 1, my post at 1:15PM (3rd reply) - you must have missed it ;)

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic

Apologies - yes, I did miss it. I was finding navigating between pages very sticky and frustrating last night - no excuse I know.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Some things are best said twice than not at all :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia