We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What happened to the laptop

Davoli73

Likes # 0

My step daughter got a laptop from Currys for Xmas 2011, the screen has now go black.

It looks like it is impact damage but she swears she didn't drop it. The screen or surrounding area isn't damaged at all.

The screen is mostly black with a limited amount of text still in view. There are also multi-coloured lines running across the screen.

Just want to know what happened and if warranty will still cover it.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If the machine was bought in or near December last year, then it would still be in Warranty.

However, unless there are any physical signs of damage I would guess that you could believe your daughter.

Can you read any of the text and if so what does it say?

What exactly happens after start-up?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try starting in safe mode by tapping F8 or f5 at start up and see if it works ok on that.

It could be graphic card problems.

If no sign of any damage take it back for repair as it is covered by the one year warranty.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Try plugging in an external monitor and boot up. If display on external monitor then it is the screen and should still be under warranty.

If no display then it is a graphics card issue, still under warranty, but take a backup / copy of the hard drive before arranging repair.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......