We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Printer Problem in Greyscale Mode

Ben43
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a basic HP D1600 series printer and when I print out a scanned greyscale piece of work, in this case black & white maps, the printer starts off printing black & white and then afterabout an inch of A4 completes the print in red. Any ideas?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Not one I can answer but there is a man here who should be able to help.

Like this post
Ben43

Likes # 0

Thanks John went on to site and they wanted £21 for the answer. A new replacement printer would only be about £25. Not knocking you I appreciate any ideas but this is just not cost effective hope you understand.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Sorry, I was looking for a free response and hoped this was one - wrong again.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

johndrew,Sorry don't understand your response?

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Ben43,

I think your cyan ink may be running out. Greyscale is usually made of equal amounts of cyan, magenta and yellow inks. If the cyan runs out, then the magenta and yellow left will result in a red printout.

A head clean may solve your problem, but it will use ink to clean the heads and new a cartridge or cartridges may be needed.

Peter.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"............ I print out a scanned greyscale piece of work, in this case black & white maps....."

In cases like yours, the printer should only be using ink from the black cartridge.

If you can't find a solution then a workaround you could try is to go into the printer properties and tick the "Print in Grayscale" option.

Another option would be to remove the colour cartridge before printing and see if that helps.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's a scanned grayscale but it is likely that the printer is trying to print in colour. Secret-Squirrel's solution of print in grayscale mode is well worthwhile trying.

Like this post
Ben43

Likes # 0

Hi Peter actually my HP Solution Centre is telling me my colour cartridge is low but I will try the cleaning option as I have nothing to lose. Secret Squirrel I have tried the Print in Grayscale Option but it made no difference thanks for all your ideas guys.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Ben, do you have a black cartridge installed? If so, does it have any ink in it? If you don't, then as Peter said, your printer will be using the three colour inks to create a greyscale-looking print-out. Unfortunately, most of the time, the end result is usually not greyscale but rather a dingy browny-green :(

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more