We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I synchronise two computers

gel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello I have a desk top and a lap top both running windows 7 Can I synchronise them so that I can read and work on the documents in either computer. The desk top is wired from the Thompson router The lap top is run wireless. Thank you gel

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

A couple of options for you to consider:

1) Store all your documents on the desktop computer and create a Windows 7 HomeGroup to enable you to access them from your laptop - see here for more info and step-by-step instructions.

If you want to work on, or access, your documents away from your house on your laptop then option 1 won't be any good. If you want up-to-date copies of your documents stored on both computers then consider some synchronisation software such as Microsoft's SyncToy - see here for more info and here for the download. Note if you're running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 then you'll need to use the SyncToySetupPackagev21x64.exe link.

Like this post  
gel

Likes # 0

Thank you Secret-Squirrel That is a very compressive reply to my query Thank you gel

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Or you can use DropBox which when you install on your PC's will keep any docs placed in it's folders synced automatically.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Is that a cloud-based service Chronus?

Like this post
March Hare

Likes # 0

Yes, Dropbox is cloud based; I have used it for some time, it is very convenient for syncing documents and photos between computers, although large files can take some time and there is a total size limit on the free version (can't remember what it is).

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Marchy.

In that case I think gel should be made aware that Dropbox uses his Internet connection instead of his home network.

If the OP's got a slow broadband connection then file operations could be painfully slow and will eat into the data allowance set by his ISP - if he has an allowance that is. Having said all that, Dropbox does appear to offer a very useful service which looks ideal for lots of users.

I've just checked and there's 2GB of storage for free accounts.

Like this post
gel

Likes # 0

Thanks for comments Yes I am a little concerned at using cloud based activities I have used google documents for some time which has now changed to google drive but only for files with no security concerns and I see this week a report which is suggesting that businesses using cloud based storage may eventually get security problems But thanks for the alternatives suggested gel

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I've just checked and there's 2GB of storage for free accounts.

But you can,as I have, increase your free space to 20GB.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for the clarification Chronus. I got my information from this document dated April of this year, but from what you've said, it's clearly out-of-date now.

How do you increase storage to 20GB on a free account?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

There are a couple of ways,obviously invite everyone one you know to sign up. Or as I did use this method posted here: Click here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers