We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I wipe hard drive?

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 1

I have a laptop I want to give to a friend, (upgrading) it is about 5 years old now, an acer, I have the Aver back-up and windows reload disks, and I want to wipe the drives before I give the laptop away (just to be certain there are no passwords/personal info etc., left on the computer) my question is: How do I wipe the drive clean? do I have to wipe both the C & D drive? and what will happen when it is totally "clean"? will the windows and reload disks have to be used to start the computer up again? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I cross posted with Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I should have refreshed the page before I posted (oops)

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

PS: just to be sure, I only do this format D drive and restore with Disks process with the laptop NOT connected to the internet? and on the power adaptor from mains power, not running on its internal battery? in case of power interruptions and not enough power in the battery in case it takes a long time to restore? Thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes and Yes

Do not be connected to the internet. Do use mains power not internal battery.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK, I will let you know how all this goes......, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I would still be a bit wary just formatting before a restore. Some years ago I gave an old PC to a relative that had been formatted and XP installed from disks. I don't know how it happened but the relative was able to access the Quicken banking software installed, but was unable to access the accounts as I had a strong password.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Luckily we don't all have relatives who are trying to access our bank accounts ;-)

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

HURRAH!!! it seems to have all worked, I had to keep ALT+F10 pressed down and listen to wailing pieptones to get the Acer restore window to open (it kept opening with original windows if you pressing ALT+F10 lightly) Now I have it back to original settings, it has connected to my isp (talktalk) after I put in the WPA key again. I guess I will have to install my own antivirus programme now, (Avast I use) and all the other programmes like paint.net and zip program, and the CCleaner programme? I will do that "wipe free space" in the Ccleaner on the remaining drives BEFORE I add the backed-up photos and documents that I saved to a big USB drive. There is an AOL and Norton antivirus icon showing on the factory restore home page now, should I remove those from the control panel under "add/remove programmes" ? Thanks all, LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

HURRAH!!! it seems to have all worked, I had to keep ALT+F10 pressed down and listen to wailing pieptones to get the Acer restore window to open (it kept opening with original windows if you pressing ALT+F10 lightly) Now I have it back to original settings, it has connected to my isp (talktalk) after I put in the WPA key again. I guess I will have to install my own antivirus programme now, (Avast I use) and all the other programmes like paint.net and zip program, and the CCleaner programme? I will do that "wipe free space" in the Ccleaner on the remaining drives BEFORE I add the backed-up photos and documents that I saved to a big USB drive. There is an AOL and Norton antivirus icon showing on the factory restore home page now, should I remove those from the control panel under "add/remove programmes" ? Thanks all, LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It says ClickHere to remove Norton from the Add/Remove menu (I would leave the rest on, on that list)

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin. He wasn't trying to access my bank account, he booted up the PC and found the software was still installed, which proves my point

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014