We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I wipe hard drive?

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 1

I have a laptop I want to give to a friend, (upgrading) it is about 5 years old now, an acer, I have the Aver back-up and windows reload disks, and I want to wipe the drives before I give the laptop away (just to be certain there are no passwords/personal info etc., left on the computer) my question is: How do I wipe the drive clean? do I have to wipe both the C & D drive? and what will happen when it is totally "clean"? will the windows and reload disks have to be used to start the computer up again? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Oh, right I see, its a forensic team thing, those programmes give me the willies as they are SO UNREALISTIC, like the ones that make Pathology labs look like something from "silicone valley" lab type settings when in reality most path. labs are the most tatty, scruffy, underfunded, ill equipped dumps imaginable!! But thats "Hollywood"!! Like this "hit" medical programme on British TV called Casualty, I CANT BELIEVE any of that is filmed in a REAL hospital, its utterly beggars belief as I KNOW there are NO HOSPITALS ANYWHERE in England that look like those STUNNING Hotel like studio sets they are filmed in., its all "fantasy" to brainwash the "populace" - YUK!!! LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Should all be done at 0030 hours tonight, it will be like a new computer then!! I might not give it away after all!! but have got my new one on order so I dont really need it, though its been a good laptop and was very expensive (over 700 quid) when I first bought it over 6 years ago. LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Phew!! thats just finished, the C drive only has 9.1gb used space on it and the D drive has only 135mb used space on it now, its almost like NEW!! Thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I have got a little problem now in trying to install Paint.net on the laptop, it says that the service pack is not compatible with the Paint.net programme, I have looked in system properties and I have : version 5.12600 Service pack 2 build 2600 How do I alter it to accept the Paint.net download? or is there a special download for a computer with this type of "service pack" - thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Why don't you start another thread with this new problem? This one is already six pages long and was marked as Resolved several days ago.

Have you run all the Windows Updates on this new set up?

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Yes OK, I will, its very weird, I cant get into PCADVISOR at all on the laptop that has been "cleaned" it just shows the top half of the ad. banner page and wont let me log in, but I can log in on this computer OK,how do I run all the updates for windows on the laptop that was "cleaned" - I will go and open a new thread now. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes