We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I wipe hard drive?

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 1

I have a laptop I want to give to a friend, (upgrading) it is about 5 years old now, an acer, I have the Aver back-up and windows reload disks, and I want to wipe the drives before I give the laptop away (just to be certain there are no passwords/personal info etc., left on the computer) my question is: How do I wipe the drive clean? do I have to wipe both the C & D drive? and what will happen when it is totally "clean"? will the windows and reload disks have to be used to start the computer up again? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK thanks, is this best done with the computer disconnected from internet, or not running any other applications when the wipe is running? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes leave it disconnected from internet and only CCleaner running as it will do it faster this way.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK thanks, LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

OK, have got the CCleaner wipe running on C & D drive on the highest setting, disconnected from wifi, says it will take over 10 hours, will I notice any difference when it has completed? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Other than any previous data on the machine will be irretrievable No.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Phew!! thought it has finished this morning, but after 12 hours it has only just done the C drive and now has gone on to do the D drive free space and estimates 17 hours more!!! LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You did say you had put it on the highest setting which is 35 passes (3 would have been well good enough) even CSI will not be able to retrieve anything after that.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Yes, I put it on the 35 passes setting, I thought you said do it on the highest setting. What is CSI?? LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Is it a TV programme called Crimse scene investigation?? someone told me about this. I dont watch TV at all!!! only in Germany and Nederland do i watch "real" programmes (very rarely) - I guess I am a dinosaur but TV doesnt interest me at all. LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes CSI is Crime Scene Investigation

See my posts August 12, 2012 at 9:07AM and Yesterday at 2:49PM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more