We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I wipe hard drive?

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 1

I have a laptop I want to give to a friend, (upgrading) it is about 5 years old now, an acer, I have the Aver back-up and windows reload disks, and I want to wipe the drives before I give the laptop away (just to be certain there are no passwords/personal info etc., left on the computer) my question is: How do I wipe the drive clean? do I have to wipe both the C & D drive? and what will happen when it is totally "clean"? will the windows and reload disks have to be used to start the computer up again? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

There is an AOL and Norton antivirus icon showing on the factory restore home page now, should I remove those from the control panel under "add/remove programmes" ?

Yes but Norton needs a special removal tool here

If you are giving the machine to a friend you will not be putting the pictures back on to it.

let your friend decided what programs they want to install but give them some advice about antivirus and antimalware [otherwise they will be comming back when its full of nsties and won't work ;0)]

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

keyboard not right, I have set up the windows as US English as it recommends but the @ sign is now only working on the " character above the 2 number on keyboard, what have I done wrong and how do I get the keyboard to function normally, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You need the keyboard set up as UK English for the correct key settings. Go to Control Panel - Regional & Language - click on Languages then Details. Select English (United Kingdom) from drop-down menu. Click Apply and OK.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If your friend uses English-English, then change the keyboard to that, and not what as been 'recommended. Usually this can be changed by: Start - Control Panel - Double click Regional and Languages - Change to United Kingdom English on the two boxes showing English (USA?)

If the laptop is connected to the internet, then it might perhaps pay to download Revo Uninstaller. This will tell you what programs are installed, and Revo will clear those that you want to remove. This is not essential, but perhaps something worth considering?.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Now I have it back to original settings, it has connected to my isp (talktalk) after I put in the WPA key again. I guess I will have to install my own antivirus programme now, (Avast I use) and all the other programmes like paint.net and zip program, and the CCleaner programme? I will do that "wipe free space" in the Ccleaner on the remaining drives BEFORE I add the backed-up photos and documents that I saved to a big USB drive

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do - if you have successfully restored it to factory settings then that is how you would want to leave it when passing to a new owner. You don't want to put ANY of your own stuff back on to the drive. And you also don't want to let it automatically connect to your TalkTalk account as they would then be able to use that.

As *Fruit Bat /\0/* says above it is up to the new owner which programs they wish to install - including I would have thought antivirus programs etc.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Yes, I realise that but I am just seeing how it goes with loading programmes etc., on it so I know how its done, i have loaded Ccleaner to it (obivously have to have it connected to internet to do that) the wipe free space in the CCleaner tools asks which drives to use, do I click both the C and D drive's "free space" and which setting is it best to use? there are quite a few, simple overwrite - 1 pass, to very complex overwrite - 35 passes, which one should I use? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Advanced wipe 3x

It will take a long time so as I said previously best to set up and do overnight.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

thanks for that SeaUrchin, I guess I had accepted the default US language setting, so long since i had altered things like this one forgets totally how to do these adjustments, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

thanks fruitbat, and I check the box for both C and D drive for the Cclean free space drive wipe? LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers