We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I wipe hard drive?

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 1

I have a laptop I want to give to a friend, (upgrading) it is about 5 years old now, an acer, I have the Aver back-up and windows reload disks, and I want to wipe the drives before I give the laptop away (just to be certain there are no passwords/personal info etc., left on the computer) my question is: How do I wipe the drive clean? do I have to wipe both the C & D drive? and what will happen when it is totally "clean"? will the windows and reload disks have to be used to start the computer up again? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you have CCleaner on the computer, then try the Drive Wiper on that program.

You might find some further information here: forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=30444

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Back up all your data

Delete it all from the drive

format the D drive (provided that is not the recovery drive)

reset to factory conditions

install CCleaner

use drive wipe to wipe all the free space on all the drives.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

to Spuds: thanks for that I do have CCleaner on the laptop which I want to clear the drives on, do I open the "drive wiper" from the "tools" option in the left side of the CCleaner homepage? I guess I will have to save all my photos and documents and anything I have in files to a seperate USB hard drive? I dont have to save anything else from the computer itself?? its just any links or anything personal, banking, passwords or anything that could compromise personal security in giving the laptop to someone (even a family member, especially younger people who know alot more about these things than I do - not that I dont trust them rather, I dont want to give something that could still contain personal info on it) thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

to Fruitbat: thanks for that, I do have CCleaner on this laptop already, following "Spuds" reply I think I should save all my Photos and documents to a sperate USB drive? I have a 500gb one plenty big enough for the small amount of photos and documents I want to keep from the laptop. (I dont need to save anything else from the computer do I?) But I dont quite understand what you mean by "format the D drive" - is that in the window you open from clicking on the drive itself, where it says "format"? I do this after I have saved any documents and photos?, DVD files on the D drive etc., - But then how do I "reset to factory condtions" - where do I find the button that does that?? is that in the D drive or on both the C and D drives somewhere, I cant find an option for "reset to factory conditons" on the C & D drive. Thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Yes, back up your photos and docs first, check the backups are ok before doing anything else.

2. Right click Computer - select manage - disk management - right click on D drive - select format

You cannot format C drive this way because windows will not let you format the drive it is on. resetting to factory conditions will format the C drive automatically.

3. Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
  2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
  3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
  4. Click “OK” to continue
  5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
  6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit

How to access recovery drive? Acer Extensa 5620z ALT+F10 or ALT+F11. Make sure D2D is enabled in BIOS.

4, reinstall CCleaner on the now recovered laptop and select tools - dry wiper -

in the wipe box select free space only

Secuity box select Advanced wipe (3 times)

Drives tick all your drives

it will take some time to do so make sure you do his while mains cable plugged in (possibly overnight)

If your really paranoid you could then try a recovery tool like RECUVA to check none of your data can be found but unless it falls into the hands of forensic team then its good enough :0)

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

When you delete files they are still on the hard drive, it is the file Allocation Table that has been changed so you cannot access the files. There is software that can access the deleted files and read them. The only way to be sure is to remove all the stored data and then download and install Eraser or Daryls Boot and Nuke. Run whichever you choose making sure you are not erasing the Factory Image which should be on a separate partition. This will place a series of zeros and 1's on the partition. When complete and this can take some considerable time on a large hard drive install the factory image.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

when you say right click on "computer" - is that the "my computer" in the start menu?? I normally open that up with left ear of the mouse and it shows the C & D drive then - or do you mean "computer" somewhere else. I am not sure if this laptop has an Acer recovery system built in, I remember once when windows had to be reloaded we had to use 1 of the 2 back up disks that I copied when I got the laptop, its an Acer model Aspire 5633WLMi with an intel core 2 duo T5500 processor. Will I have to use the back up disks I made when it was new or will it the laptop show the Acer BIOS screen when I restart it (after backing up the docs & photos etc) and having formatted the D drive?) - I guess windows is still in there if I have only formatted the D drive? - will I lose alot of the programmes (Paint.net, VLC media player etc., and things I had downloaded myself) or will they stay in place as I am only formatting the D drive and then cleaning up all the space with CCleaner after having restored to factory settings with the inbuilt Acer management? Oh, its so complicated! thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Formatting D gets rid of the data on D drive

to get rid of the data in windows such as saved passwords ect. the easiest method is to restore the machine to factory settings from the original disk you made when it was new.

this will loose all programs you have installed since then plus all the data emails etc. you have on that drive (which is what you wanted isn't it?).

Wiping over with drive wiper in CCleaner ensures the data is not recoverable

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you're really paranoid then buy two new hard drives and replace them in the Acer and use the Acer discs to restore to factory settings. The original HDDs can be used as backup discs in a caddy once you format them. Cheapest 2.5" drives I could find are here. £68 for piece of mind and extra storage space for your self.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

PS., does the Acer have two drives or one drive partitioned to two. If one drive then it will be cheaper yet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad