We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Introducing I.T system in small company - advice required please

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I am studying for an I.T qualification and one of the assessments is a ‘scenario based assessment’. It involves a fictitious accounts dept. who records all their transactions (sales/purchases) on paper. I am required to introduce an I.T system into that dept. I have done the majority of the assessment, but need your kind help on two things –

With the introduction of this new I.T system, a manual with well documented I.T. processes is required i.e. detailing level of access and authorisation rights for each employee. If I was to get someone from ‘outside’ this fictitious organisation in order to write this manual, how much would it cost and is there a name or job title given to the person who is qualified or capable of doing this?

All transactions need to be backed up in case of fire or theft. What storage medium would you advice I need in order to do this effectively?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Dont try to re-invent the wheel.

Your first step should be producing a flow chart of the existing paper system, and then ask the firms accountant what systems they can work with.

Then do an internet search for suitable software, most companies e-commerce software should be compatible with Sage and that is what most accountants will work with. Sage also do small business software.

Think about using an e-commerce program like Khaos which will do all you want and more. It also has built in user controls that allows you to control access to various part of the program and its functions. This enables you to set a user to accept orders but not to issue card refunds for example.

The advantage is you will have minimal manual writing to do as most of it will be built in.

You would still have to back up the programs database to an disk and take it home and put it in the garage! Or back it up electronically to a remote server. Every day!

Like this post
geek84

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help, wiz-king

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Just thought of the name --- systems analyst ..... that's who you need.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow