We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Chrome gone after Microsoft updates

sajeev

Likes # 0

I installed MS windows updates after repeated prompting from my computer. On restarting I found that Chrome which is the browser I regularly use had disappeared entirely. On trying to download and reinstall Chrome via IE I get an error message saying" dfsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". I am using Windows XP Home and my virus scan is Avira. Please help. Thanks sajeev

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I've only heard of that happening if you have Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) ClickHere to read about it.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Please have a look here for a possible solution:

dfsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Please follow lotvic's link, our posts crossed and he beat me to it and it is the most likely cause.

Like this post
sajeev

Likes # 0

I checked the Add Remove programs and did not find MS Security essentials. Nevertheless, I uninstalled Avira, Installed SE, updated it, ran the scan and again tried to install Chrome from IE but I got the same dfsvc message. Please advice

Like this post
sajeev

Likes # 0

Followed one of the links in the page posted by Zak (file.hippo) and everything is back to normal - so far. Thanks everybody

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...