We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using a backup on PC with different product key

daconnor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Not long after loading all my software onto a new PC with an OEM copy of Windows 7 the PSU blew causing catastrophic damage to the motherboard. The store is to replace the machine with an identical model.

Luckily I've got a complete backup courtesy of Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2011.

However I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it on the new PC which will have a different Windows 7 OEM product key.

Am I likely to have problems with licensing etc?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I suspect it will be necessary to re-install your software on the new PC.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What make and model is your pc?

"The store is to replace the machine with an identical model.....which will have a different Windows 7 OEM product key"

If it is a 'big brand' factory pre-activated W7 pc - HP, Dell etc it won't have a different OEM product key. The product key on the sticker on the tower will be different but that is not the key that is used for the factory install and pre-activation.

The sticker product key is licensed to the pc maker (HP,Dell etc) and if you should ever reinstall from another DVD and have to use it then it will require telephone activation. The factory pre-activated key cannot be used for a reinstall from another DVD - it won't work as the necessary extra data will not be present on another DVD.

"backup courtesy of Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2011" is that a complete hard drive image? if so it will replace the contents of the new harddrive.

To be on the safe side - You could make an image of the 'new' hard drive so that you can go back to it should you run into problems.

Like this post
daconnor

Likes # 0

Chronus, that's what I was afraid of.

Lotvic, it's a local business with 3 shops. It is a complete image of the hard drive. Your idea of imaging the new PC to use in the event of the restoration from the original image being rejected is a good idea.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

This may help Changing the product key in Windows 7I've never tried this but if you run into problems you might try it. In previous versions of windows there were various Microsoft tools to do the same thing but not necessarily built into the system.

Like this post
daconnor

Likes # 0

Taff, that's very useful and I've bookmarked it for future reference.

I collected the replacement PC late this afternoon, installed Paragon, and created an image file of the clean Windows 7 installation.

Then, with baited breath, I went ahead with restoring the image from the original machine. Half an hour later it booted up with only a few minor adjustments to be made.

A short while ago a pop-up told me that my system needed validation within 3 days. I clicked on the link to do it via the internet which, to my surprise, was successful.

Only time will tell if this worked 100% but in the meantime thanks to you guys for your input.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen