We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD to PC - which software?

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

I don't want to break any copyright rules, just want to be able to load some films onto my netbook (through an external DVD drive) so I can watch them when away from home.

Any suggestions for the best free software to enable me to do this please?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What programs have you already got on your PC and on Netbook?

There's usually an option to rip in the Player you will be watching them on. Or you could try just copying DVD contents to a file. Have you thought about using your PC to put them on a Flash usb drive? that you can then plug into the netbook when you want to watch them/ or transfer them to netbook.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You just need a DVD software player on your netbook. VLC is good and if you have WMP on the netbook search for the codecs pack. You'll get Vista, 7 and XP individual packs of use K-Lite.

Some useful links here, under Audio and Video.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That should be "or use K-Lite"

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have VLC, but thought special software was needed to transfer a movie to the hard drive. Thanks for the help, I'll have a play over the weekend.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Your external drive will be seen with Windows, just use the player to play it. One way is to right click the Movie showing in your external optical drive and select "open with".

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

rdave. I was trying to dispense with the external drive while away from home, hence the wish to save the video to the HDD.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I see. Sorry for being dense. I use Ashampoo for ripping, or copy as they term it. There's a free version here but I use the BS 11 paid for version, so can't comment if as good, though, I suspect it will do as you need. You will have to register and get some spam but you can always unregister from their mailing list. Worth a look anyway.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

That'll sort any problems catpwss - good link

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Excellent - many thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...