We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

For those that use these so called tune up programms.

KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

An interesting article here: Windows secrets. When I was less knowledgeable about PC's than I like to think I am now I to used these programs,even bought one once, many years ago, System Mechanic, if memory serves. Now I would not touch then with the proverbial barge pole. I have had to sort far to many PC's that have come my way because the owner used one of these programs. They can and do cause more problems than they cure in my opinion and most make over the top assertions on how much better your PC will run if you use their software.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

I think your link has gone astray - perhaps you have been using one of these tune-up programs!!!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

LOL,as if. Thanks for the heads up.Correct link I hope.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Chronus - I agree with all of your comments regarding so called tune up programs. I too used System Mechanic many, many years ago now and it made an absolute mess of my PC. Like you I had very little knowledge of computers in those days and therefore put my trust in this program because I thought it was going to make big improvements. To put it mildly, it caused problems it was supposed to put right! I have never used any of these type of programs since.

Thanks for the article.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Couldn't agree more. The number of times I've had "Slow" computers brought to me as a final resort and found not one, but multiple "Speed Up" applications installed or registry boosters and the like ....

The actual problems were basic things like Windows Updates not installing, a Java, Adobe or HP Assist program being ignored and because the computer was running slow their owners turned it off and when rebooted the process started all over again.

In the worst cases a complete re-install was required because the registry was beyond a simple fix.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

OH! Nearly forgot - the second most common cause of a slow computer was malware or a virus. Usually as a result of kids downloading free games. "FunWebSearch" being the most noteable.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes SM did the same for me - more trouble than it was worth - however I learnt a lot about windows processes while trying to sort it out :0)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A rival mag has in its latest edition given a luke-warm review of tune-up utilities. They included SM and concluded that registry cleaning is largely futile because it didn't make any difference in performance.

I find it irritating that magazines like this include versions on their free cds often with a free trial and the option to buy. These programs are then put on computers by inexperienced people who do not understand the possible consequences.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Woolwell , always has been the same, since I started dabbling with computers.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Of course, that is the reason for a FREE trial, in the hope that at least some of the persons using it will buy it, that's business.

The problem occurs when there is no un-install program or the user tries to un-install it manually, which can cause all sorts of problems to the system.

Terry

Like this post
Andsome

Likes # 0

The only tool that I use now is C Cleaner. Never had a problem with it. Years ago I too tried the programs mentioned and lived to regret it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features