We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help needed with first time PC build

Ryder212

Likes # 0

Hi, I am considering building a PC for the first time and need help choosing the parts. My budget is £500 and I'll be mainly using the pc for watching films and writing up coursework. I also would like to be able to play some games such as The Sims and Civilisation Revolution but nothing too graphic intensive. I have a large film and music collection so I will need a big HDD. Keyboard and mouse doesn't have to be included but could you please recommend a monitor and speakers.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

If you have no idea what your doing leave well alone,go buy a machine.remember if you damsage or get mismatched components your problem and that in the end will cost you more than buying a machine,in the right hands building a machine is great in the wrong hands could cost you more than buying one and if it goes wrong who is going to check your machine for faults.

Like this post
Ryder212

Likes # 0

I do have an idea what I am doing thank you. If I go wrong I can get help also

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Is the £500 for the whole build including monitor and speakers? What about operating system? If so you will be struggling to build anything with that sort of budget.

If you can confirm exactly what you need or what you have to spend I will see if I can put some components together for you. By the way I build all my own PC's and if we all believed in what mole1944 says then we would never have learned to build anything and we would still be living in caves.

Like this post
Ryder212

Likes # 0

£500 doesn't include OS, speakers, keyboard or monitor but if you could recommend any that would be helpful.

I will use the PC for internet browsing, using ms word and watching films. I would also like to be able to play The Sims 3 games and civilization V. I don't need it to be a gaming PC just mainly for watching Blu Ray films and causal gaming. I tend to run a lot of programmes at once so I think I'll need a mid range cpu also it needs to have 2TB HDD as I have many things I want to store.

Yes I thought we all started out as novices before becoming experts.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have put together a couple of specifications, one using an Intel processor and the other an AMD. Both of these can be tweaked if you want and include postage although you can get the components without postage if you do not mind waiting 5 days from Ebuyer, I have never waited that long by the way.

I have only included 4GB of RAM on the assumption that you will be installing Windows 7 32BIT if you choose the 64BIT version then I would get 8GB ram.

Components.

As for keyboard that is up to you whether you want wireless or wired, wireless you have to think about batteries which can be a pain.

As for monitor that depends on what sort of size you were thinking of.

Obviously the bigger the better if you like to watch films.

Speakers will depend on the size of your room and whether you want 5.1 (5 speakers and a subwoofer) or 2.1 (2 speakers and a subwoofer). Corsair,Trust and Logitech are good brands to look out for.

Any further questions fire away.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Nope try this. Again.

Like this post
Ryder212

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help I was looking at the Dell U2412M 24". I don't want it any bigger than 27". My room is a decent size I'll have a look at the brands you mentioned

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The brands I gave you are for speakers.

As for the Dell U24 they are fantastic monitors I have one for the other half's PC as I upgraded to the U2711 got it for the same price as I paid for the 24" 3 or so years ago.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad