We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BSOD - what is likely cause?

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

My son's new purpose-built games machine (Athlon triple-core, 8GB memory, 2 x 32GB SSD and 2 x 150GB drives configured in RAID, GTS250, Windows 7 Ultimate) regularly BSODs, but at random times in random applications. The guy who built it suggests updating the NVIDIA driver. He bleives it's sufficiently cooled. Before I go about looking at upgrading/replacing the driver - what are any other possible causes of BSODs I could look at? Is there any point in sharing the memory dump?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try this and the next time you get a bsod it should tell you what the problem was.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview.html

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

That looks very promising, Buteman - many thanks.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

Ignore that as it never worked.

I used it on my W/7 machine but just read a couple of reports that were not very good.So ignore unless someone can say different.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ian check it out first before you try.I had no problems with it but I am no expert.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Switch off automatic restart after a BSOD and you should then be able to read the details of the screen. The code numbers should identify the exact cause of the fault

Stop auto restart

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

BSODs usually hardware or drivers

random times in random applications

suggests memory to me i.e. when a particular piece of faulty memory is accessed.

Memory Test MemTest - http://www.memtest86.com/ Tutorial: How to use Memtest - http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html Windows Memory Test - http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update, Buteman - and thanks Fruit Bat /\0/. I'll try memtest.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've used Bluescreenview on a number of machines, and have found it a useful tool to identify a problem. Easier to understand than the minidumps.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

A couple of things about your original post: "purpose-built games machine". With only a GTS 250 I assume it was not a recent build? as your post goes on to state "The guy who built it suggests updating the NVIDIA driver".

It also seems an odd set up with 2 very small (32GB) SSD's in Raid 0? and then two small (150GB) HDD's also in Raid 0?

If you could post the full specs using the free version or home edition of SIW, could you post make/model of motherboard,CPU,make/type etc of RAM and make etc of power supply and also the stop error codes and messages that you will get from Bluescreen view linked above.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks otl1.

And: Chronus, thanks. The PC was recently built to a very small budget (<£200) from parts that the guy had lying around - hence the strange specification/configuration. For the money, I think it's reasonable value. Yes, I know that for a 'true' gaming machine you should expect to pay upwards of £600 or so and for that you'd get a lot more - and a lot more recent. The key was that the PC needed to be able to play Battlefield 3 on high settings - which it does very well (other than the occasional BSOD...) (I checked the Battlefield 3 minimum spec and recommended spec, and the machine falls around the middle of the top end, if that makes sense.) It also manages games like WoW, SWTOR, SkyRim and so on very well, which is all my son asks of it. I'm not sure about the RAID configuration - I'd need to ask/find out. I'll try and get some time on the machine to run SIW and as much of the error information as I can manage. Leave it with me. Many thanks for your interest.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK