We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Restore points vanish

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I tried to do a system restore today but there were no bold dates to restore from apart from one earlier today, there is normally one almost every day. Apart from that it would not let me go back to July to check that either. Any help please.

Ray

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link,I have read it carefully but the possible causes listed do not apply in my case.

Ray

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I tried to go into system restore and it would not open or work.

I am using W/7 and after a bit of searching I found this which helped me turn it on again.

Now I know that yours is a different problem but maybe checking those settings may or may not help.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd364867%28WS.10%29.aspx

When I got it working there was only one update on it and that was for last month.

I use tune up utilities and can only assume it was that which turned my system restore off.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Buteman, My system restore is not turned off but almost all restore points disappear every now and then, usually when I want to use them. I want to set it to create a restore point every day and these not to suddenly vanish. It did not matter too much this time but I would like to prevent it happening again. I do not use "clean up" type programs very often so I doubt that is the cause. Is there some way of backing up the restore?

Ray

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Sorry, bumpkin, I am not trying to muscle in, but having a very similar problem, 'Backup and Restore' and 'Restore Point' not working, I thought I would follow northumbria61's advice. All went well after I had followed his link until I got to the point where it said to start the 'Command' window.

I did this and got to 'C:\Windows\System32>'. I then followed the instructions to type in 'diskshadow'. I then got: 'diskshadow' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or a batch file'. I then 'cd..' twice to get back to 'C:\', with exactly the same result.

I amusing Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more