We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Want to create a simple server solution

lothlann

Likes # 0

Hi,

First off, whilst I am fairly computer literate I know nothing about sevrers and very little about networking.

I have an old PC sat in my room and I am wondering whether I could use this as a server to store files that I currently have on an external 3TB drive. Ideally, I would want to be able to access these files from my iMac (which is sat next to the computer) and perhaps also my iPhone and iPad (although this isnt essential, would be a nice bonus though).

However, I have no idea how to go about doing this, I am not sure what options are available to me. I have seen talk of using Linux on the old PC to utilise it as a server but I'm not sure whether this would be the best solution.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback