We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Chrome and Opera Browsers will not start

doveton

Likes # 0

My Chrome and Opera browsers will not start; IE and Firefox are unaffected. I have tried reinstalling, scanning the system for viruses and uninstalling my security software to no avail. The browsers will start in safe mode. Any ideas please?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Have you tried right click on your icons (Chrome and Opera) and selecting Run as Administrator

Like this post
doveton

Likes # 0

Yes I did try that but thanks anyway.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Have you used Malwarebytes? I had the same problem (for me it was a brief flash of the Chrome screen), and MBAM found trojan Lameshield.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There are a lot of articles abut Chrome at the moment and some have found different resolutions to the problem but there seem to be many for whom nothing has yet resolved it.

The shortcut has become corrupted - delete and make a new one.

Install a new Chrome using Firefox, when Chrome is loading the old Chrome asks if you want to restore the old Chrome and it then works fine.

If you have sandboxie - disable it.

Opera

Have you had a recent update that is causing the problem? Try deleting the browser cache. If you have ipv6 checked try unchecking it. Tried a reinstall

Like this post
doveton

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help onthelimit1 and difarn. I tried Malwarebytes but it didn't find anything. I tried to start using the actual program file rather than the shortcut but no joy. I tried to reinstall Chrome using Firefox but I am not sure if the process completes. There is no notification but the shortcut appears. Anyway it will not start. As far as Opera is concerned I deleted the cache but cannot get into the program to uncheck ipv6. Again when I try to reinstall I am not sure if the process completes. In safe mode it certainly does. It is strange that Opera and Chrome are affected by the same problem at the same time. It looks like something is affecting them both but I don't know what it is.

Like this post
BILL WHITE

Likes # 0

I've been having a similar problem: Chrome crashes when first loaded. Sometimes the 'Relaunch' works , sometimes not. I've tried reinstalling but still the same problem. Also running as Administrator makes no difference.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

Have you tried...

Installing Cc Cleaner Uninstalling Chrome and Opera from there Do a registry clean Re-boot Reinstall Chrome/Opera - try one at a time.

Working in safe mode intimates that a programme/add-on may be causing the problem. Check your add-ons and plug-ins to see if they are the culprits.

Do you have windows defender turned on? If so turn it off and see if this makes any difference.

If you want to keep windows defender enabled then take it out of the start up list

Like this post
doveton

Likes # 0

Thanks for that difarn. You are a genius. I had trouble uninstalling Opera using Cc cleaner so used Revo uninstaller instead. Then I did the Cc registry clean, rebooted and did the registry clean again, then reinstalled and then everything worked. I think the problem with Opera was down to a rogue registry entry which had not been deleted. I never had Windows Defender turned on.

Like this post
doveton

Likes # 0

Unfortunately I needed to restart and when I did so, Opera and Chrome failed to work again. I went throught the steps again but the problem remained. I am tearing my hair out here!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Don't think that the OS has been mentioned. Which is it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features