We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Went to sort out my C drive

Daiol
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,I decided to sort out my C drive,So this is what I did.Moved all my Documents to an external hdd,Also moved my Pictures,& video's. My music is on another internal drive. My total documents came to 40GB.My Pictures Came to 37.1GB.My Video's came to 8.36GB Totaling to 85.46GB I transfered them into their proper folders,Docs > Dodcs,Pic >Pic.Etc. Now went to look at my C drive and it was showing a lot more than I had.I know the windows takes so many GB's also program files,But this amount was way out.I have a 500GB hdd and at the end of all this drastic work it shows that there is only 180GB's free. That dont tally up in my mathematics so I installed the 'Treesize free' so I could see what was going on. But not very techy I dont quite understand the end product of the treesize software. Can someone please assist me with this problem. Running windows 7.I'm the only user. Find the image of the treesize to see hoping that I can have help to get this out of my head.half way through the operation we had a power cut that didn't help the situation Many thanks in advance. Image here..[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rvAxD.jpg[/IMG]

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

Okay thanks for help,Lets get it correct you want me to delete all the pictures & leave my documents well alone. I notice that I have pictures in my picture folder and also they show up in my documents folder is that how it should be?. I do have a backup of all pictures and documents,Which would be the best way to delete these pictures completely from my C drive,And then the best way to get them back into my picture folder? Thanks.

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

Okay thanks for help,Lets get it correct you want me to delete all the pictures & leave my documents well alone. I notice that I have pictures in my picture folder and also they show up in my documents folder is that how it should be?. I do have a backup of all pictures and documents,Which would be the best way to delete these pictures completely from my C drive,And then the best way to get them back into my picture folder? Thanks.

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

Sorry I clicked mouse twice.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

As long as you are certain that the contents of your My Pictures are backed up then open the folder click on organise then select all,all the pictures will turn blue, right click any of the images and delete.

To put picture back make sure your external HDD is plugged in,go to where you have the copies of your pictures, same thing as before,click on organise then select all but this time when you right click then click on copy and paste them into your My Pictures folder on your C drive.

As for the ones in your Documents folder copy any that you want to keep then delete the folder that they are in.

But please make sure before you delete anything that you have copied any that you want to keep.

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

Thanks,Just one more We are getting there.After I have copied my pics from my ext hdd to my pics folder in C drive,Then the folder in my docs I can delete it wont affect the pics that I have copied into my pics folder. Hope you can understand me? Many Many Thanks if this works I'll pass on a large drink for you. David.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Then the folder in my docs I can delete it wont affect the pics that I have copied into my pics folder.

No it will not, I am assuming that at some point you copied pictures here or decided to store pictures here, but they will be copies so provided you have another copy then yes you can delete the folder.

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

Thanks.I will be having a go later on.I'll get back to you with good or bad news. Thank you.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

OK,just take your time,make sure that you have copied everything before you delete anything.

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

chronus.Hi I'm back not to good.I transferd most of my pictures okay,So now went to transfer some of my documents int my docs folder went fine. Then went to the C drive opened users windows7 opened and in the picture folder there was my document not pictures. Cannot undestand it. image .. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HbCoc.jpg[/IMG]

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

What you should have done with your documents etc. is this.

From the Desktop , Right click on the Documents folder, select properties. This shows you the default location for the documents.

Create a folder on another drive.(called (E.G) Documents (new)

On the (old) documents folder address,browse for the new folder you have just created.

Select Move, All the files in the My Documents folder will be moved to the new drive and the space used on C drive will be relaimed (You will need to do a defrag after).

The shortcut for the documents will remain on the desktop, however all new files will go directly to the new drive /folder.

Another big advantage is - When (not if) your main drive become corrupted, all you have to do to recover your documents is to re-build the link.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...