We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

spareroomgirl1

Likes # 0

hi there, once again asking for help. I have used skype for a long time - never any problems - until now. Logged on 2 days ago, it asked me to update it - so I did. Now I cannot log in or access skype. I use IE 9 and have skype 5.10, use Norton firewall and Norton internet securtiy. I have tried unistalling it and reinstalling, still does not work! When I atempt to login all I get is a circle going round and round. Pleast help. I need this.

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

Have you tried doing a system restore to a time before the Skype update?

Like this post
spareroomgirl1

Likes # 0

no, will try

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

There are often conflicts with Norton Internet Security when updating Skype. The answer is usually to uninstall and re-install Norton rather than Skype.

But a system restore should remove the Skype update. Problem is it will probably update again before long.

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

You are correct, Sea Urchin, in that Skype will ask to update though you don't have to let it. I use an 'old; version, it lets me have speed dial on my 'phone, and just ignore requests to update.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

beeuuem

The latest version of Skype 5.10.0.116 now allows you to turn off automatic updating. Tools - Options - Advanced - Automatic Updates - Turn off Automatic Updates and Save. If required it can be reversed.

Like this post
spareroomgirl1

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone, sorted now, it was Norton. think I will turn off updating.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback - glad it's sorted

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites