We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to increase size of partition

m800afc
Resolved

Likes # 0

Intel Core i7 CPU [email protected] 3.81GHz 12Gb RAM ATI Radeon HD 5770 Monitor 1 - BenQ2400W (Landscape) Monitor 2 - BenQ2400W (Portrait) Win 7 Pro 64bit: Epson Stylus Photo R1900

My SSD having failed, I quickly had to create a partition on a 1Tb existing D drive. I named the new partition C, and did a clean reinstal of W8. I now need to increase the size of C, taking the space from D. My problem is that C is on the "right" of the partition and I am unable to increase the size of C.

How can I solve this dilemma?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Forgive me if you already know about what is to follow.

Go to 'Start' and type this in the text box: Disk management

Click on the shortcut that will appear.

When the disk management window opens, right click on the C drive and select 'extend volume'. You should now be able to expand the C drive using unallocated space from the D drive.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"My problem is that C is on the "right" of the partition and I am unable to increase the size of C."

If I remember correctly, if there's no unallocated space on the right of the drive then you can't use Win 7's Disk Management Console to increase its size.

I've used the effective, reliable, and free EaseUS® Partition Master Home Edition utility a few times for issues like yours and it's always done a very good job. Although your situation is slightly different, here are step-by-step instructions for you including screen shots.

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Secret Squirrel: Thanks for the advice, it worked perfectly Cheers

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...