We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External hard drive not recognised-Help!

onion73

Likes # 0

Hi all...I bought a BUFFALO hard drive and transfered all our pics before replacing desk top for a new laptop (DELL INSPIRON) Problem is laptop doesn't recognise this device when pluuged in no prompts not showing anywhere...Really worried as all our wedding photos are on it...Any advice appreciated...Be gentle I'm not very PC literate :)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. is buffalo powered up?

2. check if drive seen in device manager or disk manager

Like this post
onion73

Likes # 0

Hi Thanks,

Buffalo is powered up and not showing in either.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do you have access to another pc you can try it on?

Like this post
onion73

Likes # 0

Hello,

Not at home will try in work tomorrow and let you know Thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

OK, also do you have any other usb devices, usb flash memory drive or something you can try in the usb's on the new laptop? (to see if usb ports are working ok with other devices)

Like this post
onion73

Likes # 0

Yea the my digital camera & USB stick all show up when inserted...I've been told it may be because the buffalo was formated to the old desk top and to re-format it will lose everything stored on it.There must be another solution.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Assuming windows 7 on your new laptop?

7 should see all file systems from previous windows formats

However this is nothing to do with file systems if the laptop even cannot see the drive in device manager or disk manager.

Can you see the buffalo in another machine? Have you thrown the old desktop away and what operating system did it use?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...