We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pages unresponsive in Google Chrome

williamj

Likes # 0

When trying to log onto browser Google Chrome, I am unable to log on. I get the message "Pages have become unresponsive" with the choice Kill or wait. I can use Windows Internet Explorer, but have been using Google and have got used to Google. Any suggestions please?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I have seen several solutions to this in posts on other forums:-

control panel, go to firewall settings, exceptions tab, and then check/tick the google chrome box

Do you have the latest version?

Wrench - settings - Advanced settings - scroll to network and click on change proxy settings. Scroll to Privacy - advanced -override automatic cookie handling - always allow session cookies - Apply - Ok

control panel, go to firewall settings, exceptions tab, and then check/tick the google chrome box

Like this post
williamj

Likes # 0

difarn, Thanks for your reply. Went to Firewall exceptions and 'Google Chrome' was not on the list. Added 'Google Chrome' to the list and ticked box. Also completed 'over ride automatic cookies from the Wrench- settings. Unfortunately the Home page, of Google Chrome still fails to establish, and then any selected web page will not load. I still get the 'pages unresponsive.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I occasionally get the same problem, but tend to ignore it, because it seems to activate quite some time after the computer as been switched on. If you use 'kill', the problem will still remain.

Failing everything else, I would suggest that you un-install Chrome completely, then re-install the latest version download, and see if that resolves the problem.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Before you try to log on are you waiting until your firewall and AV protection are active - this can cause the problem you are experiencing.

As previously posted I would try a reinstall - also check to see if you have any add-ons causing a problem. It seems that there are a large number of people having the same problem.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just come across this on another forum...

"Right Click on the Google Chrome Desktop Shortcut icon and view Properties.

Click the Compatibility Tab and UNCHECK the “Run this program in compatibility mode

In the “Privlege Level” section, UNCHECK the “Run this program as an administrator” option.

Click “Apply” and then click, “OK”.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmmm. Interesting. I can't open Chrome at all at the moment!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I tried uninstalling then reinstalling - home page seems to start to open then closes. No idea what's going on there.

Like this post
williamj

Likes # 0

Thanks Guy's for you comments. The version of Google Chrome is latest version, 21.0.1180.60 and it runs perfectly on another P.C. At present I am running a full scan of Malawarebytes and it is still running and nothing detected. (2 Hours +) A suggestion I have seen is to add -no-sandbox after the Target "Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" May try that as it can be undone again.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I see that there is a similar problem under discussion on another forum I belong to - so far no resolution but will report back if this changes. I also read about the -no-sandbox - it seems that some things work for some but not others.

The reason for uninstalling is that somehow it may have become corrupted. It is worthwhile having a go at this I think.

Did you have a go at the "compatibility" solution?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just came across a bit of advice from Google - to create a new browser user profile. Article here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen