We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eset warning while browsing

buteman

Likes # 0

Just got this warning from Eset and wondered if it was anything to worry about or whether Eset had actually stopped it.

It is in the log file under personal firewall but it does not say what they did with it.And looks like my IP address.

Would it be best if I turned the firewall security up in the router as it is set to low at the moment.Maybe set it to medium or high or would that cause problems.

This is what is on the log.

05/08/2012 12:24:15 Detected DNS cache poisoning attack 192.168.0.1:53 192.168.0.2:137 UDP

Now not sure if it could have been Virginmedia themselves as they were supposed to fix my e-mail address today that they had deleted.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Appears that it could be Virgin Media. Has you email address been fixed? Personally I would contact them to verify this.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

northumbria61

No my e-mail has not been sorted yet.But maybe Eset just stopped it from being sorted.

rdave13

Thanks for that.Got a bit of a headache just now so will have another look at that later.It does look like it could be part of my IP address but not 100% sure.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Must have been a false positive I think.Just switched back on and it would not connect to wireless.

192.168.0.2:137 UDP would come under my network connection not sure what the :137 UDP is though and whether it should be there.

The first part would come under my wired connection.But not sure about the :53 at the end of it.

Flushed the DNS cache using command prompt but will run the one on your look here as well.

Just still wondering if safe to allow both of those in Eset ,Any opinions.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Port 137 is netbios.

I found this for Comodo but I would imagine it applies to Eset: Click here.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

Ok added my 2 IP addresses into Eset without the bits on the end as there was no room for them anyway so will see if I get the same problem again.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok Chronus.

I followed Toggie's post and done accordingly.Thanks.

Rebooted and at least the computer still starts ok.

Will have to keep this post in my favorites in case I have to reverse it at any time.

Like this post
Mark@ESETUK

Likes # 0

Good Morning, As this is a local address this is "normally" nothing to worry about, sometimes the ESET Personal firewall will detect internal IP traffic from a network peripheral such as a router or printer as a possible threat, I would suggest taking a look at our Knowledge Base here

If you have any concerns at all then please give our technical support a call on 0845 838 0832 option 3, we will be happy to take a look for you.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Mark@ESETUK

Many thanks for signing into the Forum and giving advice.

rdave13 already posted your knowledge base and I was working things out on that.

As this computer is working with a wireless connection I assumed that may well have been the problem.It was the 137 UDP at the end of the IP address that I was a bit worried about.

I have added both the wired and wireless connection to the excluded zone so just a matter of seeing if any more problems exist.

So far so good and thanks once again for your response.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen