We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My 'C' Drive icon has changed its appearace

catpwss
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,Over the last few days I noticed that my C drive icon has changed its appearance as per image. Running windows 7 laptop 'Compaq' Any help here please. Thanks. Image...[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/80s3W.jpg[/IMG]

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Have a look here: Click here.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Looked at your link,& picked up one small info that might be the problem,

''It would appear that my autorun.inf file had been changed by Windows easy transfer, and was the root cause of my problem.''

The above is from your link,Regarding the ''autorun.inf file''.Where would I find that and how to delete it??. Thanks.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Try this: fix icon. What operating system have you.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Chronus,thanks went into registry followed the images on screen when i came to the driver icon there was no 'C' ther only F H I. I'm running windows 7 home premium.Fully updated. Thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Try this then:Click here.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Thanks been reading through the link you gave,I'm definitly not very techy any way should I have a go at this from the link?

''he DriveIcons key only exists in one place in W7. Unlike XP though, I have icons on my drives in explorer with this key devoid of any data.

*1. In this registry location: HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons 2. Create a new Key called C and a Key below that called DefaultIcon. 3. In DefaultIcon create a String value called (Default). 4. Copy this data into default: C:\windows\System32\SHELL32.dll,8 (this is the same in W7 as XP). you could also use 9 as this icon is also a drive. If you're happy to wait my W7 VM will be up and running this arvo, happy to test given Google yields little on the issue and this may be one for the archives.*

Thanks.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Should have been. I'm not sure how keen you are on using your system to test a theory, you could apply the XP logic to W7. My QA virtual is dead in the water at present, I'd be more than happy to test for you if it wasn't.

The DriveIcons key only exists in one place in W7. Unlike XP though, I have icons on my drives in explorer with this key devoid of any data.

1. In this registry location: HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons
  2. Create a new Key called C and a Key below that called DefaultIcon.
  3. In DefaultIcon create a String value called (Default).
  4. Copy this data into default: C:\windows\System32\SHELL32.dll,8 (this is the same in W7 as XP). you could also use 9 as this icon is also a drive.

If you're happy to wait my W7 VM will be up and running this arvo, happy to test given Google yields little on the issue and this may be one for the archives.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Yes,as it will not harm your PC if it does not work.

Sent from my Nexus 7.

Like this post  
catpwss

Likes # 0

Will have a go,I will be back later.

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Well here I am, must have done something correct between all the links that I had to read. all is well again. many thanks to all.Once again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014