We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Charging, battery & CMOS problems

Crab65

Likes # 0

Hi everyone. A few weeks ago the ac charger for my Asus F7 gave up, so I bought another one. However, (coincidentally?) my battery has not been charging properly since, even though I have tried other chargers. Now the battery is totally dead. Additionally the time & date has reset to 2008 each time the laptop is shut down. Replaced the CMOS battery but this didn't make any difference. Could something have shorted/broken that will affect both batteries or does the CMOS battery rely on a little power from the main battery to keep it going? Does anyone have an idea what could have gone wrong as I am loathe to spend >£30 on a new battery if there's nothing wrong with it? Thanks for looking.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Although this is not a solution (it's the best I can think of)...just try putting your computer into hibernation mode (when closing down) so the clock stays at the right time.When I close (the lid on) my laptop, it does just that.

Like this post
HenryF75

Likes # 0

Your problem could stem from a faulty battery. Have you tried removing the battery and running your netbook on mains.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

After replacing the CMOS battery, did you go into BIOS to setup the time?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...