We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WD portable external harddrive - not recognised

novis

Likes # 0

I have a Western Digital external harddrive WD3200ME which I have been using successfully with a Toshiba Equium laptop running Windows 7. However the external harddrive is no longer recognised when it is connected probably due to a disconnection error [it was disconnected in error without using the computer's facility].

I have checked out the WD site

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/c/123/p/228,195,255/search/1/kw/windows%207

but as a novice am unable to understand what to do next or which option to pursue. Any suggestions / help would be welcome.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try this - Go to start, right click on Computer, select manage, select disc management. The next column on the left will show all drives with their corresponding letter. Your external hard drive may not show any letter assigned to it. Right click over where the drive letter should appear and select Change drive letter and path. Select whatever letter that you want to call it and click OK.

It should now be recognised.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
novis

Likes # 0

I am able to get to the list of drives and right click on the DVD drive [the only option that allows 'Change Drive letter and Path'] am prompted to select D - 'Assign the following drive letter or path' - and am prompted to create a new folder ... and then it all gets really complicated.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Assume you can only see drives C: and D: (DVD) in disk management?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015