We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pre order W/8 from Amazon £49.99

buteman

Likes # 0

Pre order W/8 from Amazon £49.99 which seems reasonable much the same as they charged for W/7. Due for release in October

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Pro-Upgrade-Edition-Vista/dp/B008GRKGXK/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1343974365&sr=8-1

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If ordering use the free delivery if not it costs £3.30 extra for postage & packing.

If you can wait till October for it you can wait another 3 days for free delivery.

tems: £49.99 Postage & Packing: £3.30

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Thanks for that. Possibly might be cheaper downloading from Microsoft? 8 download. If it will cost the same to download then I'll skip Win 8.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

And the benefits of Windows 8 over Windows 7 to the average PC user are what exactly?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

Yes seen that earlier and if you want the CD version it costs more.

You know what usually happens it is a lot cheaper to buy or download in the US and a lot more expensive here.

A reasonable price from Amazon if you want the boxed version.

If you do order it you can cancel it at a later date if you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Maybe downloading it if the price is right may be the way to go.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Nearly £50 for that, you must be joking!

Never in a million years would I pay that for an operating system. But then, I wouldn't use Windows either.

I see Microsoft never fail to rip off British customers. Take a look and see what it costs in the US by comparison - $39.99 maybe? There was even some talk about the upgrade edition (which is what you're referring to) being $14.99 for a limited time. Whether that will happen or not, I've no idea.

You could use Ubuntu and have a far more advanced system for free.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I thought an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 was to cost about £25. However, if you are using Win 7 and are not bothered about touch screens, then I don't see ant compelling reason to change from Win 7 although I expect we will be told that it is more secure !

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Definitely Win7 for me, for the foreseeable future!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

So no real benefit then?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Far quicker start.No Microsoft updates slowing it down and just had a read at this which might put me off.

http://netterkingdom.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/advantages-and-benefits-of-windows-8.html

When W/7 came out at first I could do a full security scan in about 7 minutes.it now takes about 40 minutes.

Why do they keep trying to shove windows defender on to everyone.

I would probably say that at least 80% of users never use it and the first thing I do is to stop it running in Services.

You usually have a choice now if you want to download I/E or not.You should have the same choice with Windows Defender.

With W/7 you cannot remove it I wonder if W8 will be the same.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

With W/7 you cannot remove it I wonder if W8 will be the same.

I have Win7, but do not have Defender - nor do I want it!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks