We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If I bought a laptop how do I go wireless outside my house?

pcgranny
Resolved

Likes # 0

If I make a statement can someone say if it is correct or not:-

I have a home computer at the moment an was thinking of buying a buget laptop to use outside my home, I am currently with BT anytime, if I buy a dongle? does that mean I can sit somewhere with my laptop and just get on the internet? or do I have to register with some company or other? I only want to use the internet on the laptop for email or looking up things, not gaming /videos etc thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Depends what you mean by 'outside'. If outside your own property, you should be able to pick up a wireless signal from your router. If you mean 'anywhere' outside, you'd have to sign up to a mobile broadband company for which you'd need a dongle. There are more an more wireless hotspots becoming available which means you can connect to the internet in those location without the need for this service. As an example, McDonalds have free wireless access for their customers.

Like this post  
pcgranny

Likes # 0

Thanks! that is just what I wanted to know!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If you are with BT you can use BT Fon.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

From BT literature (and you won't need a 'dongle'),

FREE unlimited wi-fi

When you buy any BT broadband package you receive unlimited FREE access to the world's largest wi-fi network with BT Wi-fi (the new name for BT Openzone and BT FON).

Say goodbye to restrictive mobile phone data allowances and hello to a brave new world of unlimited Internet on the move. Connect to the Internet at public wireless broadband access points called 'hotspots' – just like the way you connect wirelessly at home. Easy peasy.

320x more wi-fi hotspots than Sky Get online using your laptop, netbook, smartphone or tablet free at over 4 million public wireless hotspots in the UK and 2 million more around the world. You'll find hotspots in cafes, airports, hotels or even when you're walking down the street or relaxing in the park. And this summer we are the sole public wi-fi provider for London 2012, keeping you connected around the Olympic Park and at over 500,000 hotspots across London. It's a cinch to use – just look out for 'BT Wi-fi' in the list of available networks on your device, click connect and away you go1

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just a word of caution.

I am with BT and I have never yet found one of their hot spots!

They are well mapped and I could find one, but they don't appear just like that.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Like morddwyd I have never found a BT Hotspot. I suspect you have to be almost on top of the hotspot as the signal power will be low. You only need a dongle if you want to use the mobile phone network which is expensive.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Also see here:

Other post on dongles

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I live in a very rural area and can regularly pick up BT Fon Hotspot as I move between villages.

In towns I am normally spoilt for choice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...