We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting Up a Dell Computer

Border View
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am helping my sister in law set up her new Dell Tower (over the phone). She is currently burning the back up DVDs.

We have a question about McAfee Anti-virus which comes pre-installed on the new Dell. In the past on her other computer she has used Avast and is happy with that.

Can she just go into Control Panel>Programs and uninstall this McAfee or does she have to use it? When uninstalled she would then go to Avast web site and download that.

We look forward to your responses and advice.

PS as soon as she is connected to the internet she will be downloading Revo which we found invaluable on her laptop.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Your sis-in-law is not obliged to use McAfee, she can put whatever she wants on her computer.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thanks Nontek. Is it best to use Revo to uninstall? We wondered if it was similar to Norton to get rid of.

Like this post  
Border View

Likes # 0

Got rid of McAfee by uninstalling via control panel. Downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Avast. More than a happy bunny now everything up and running.

Thanks for your help Nontek

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You're welcome, and Yes Revo is the best uninstaller!

I too use MSE and Revo!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...