We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which Sata Drives for laptop

highside

Likes # 0

Please forgive if its a stupid question but not familiar with Sata. I have large images on external powered hard drives (USB connected). My HP laptop has a Sata input and I woild like to use that instead to possibly speed up access.

From a quick web check I think I need a drive unit and an enclosure. Also I believe the enclosure should be a single disk and not one which involves Port Multiplier whatever that is.

Have I got this right and could anyone tell me the proper description of enclosure to ask for or give a model name?

Thanks for looking.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

What make and model is your laptop?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Many different HP models, so if we know which one, it might help.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you have an e-sata connection then you can use these type of enclosures (caddies), Amazon examples.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Sorry its an HP Pavilion 2250ed 2.1Ghz 8GB RAM eSata. Win7 64 bit

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Be aware that if you have an e-sata port with a USB logo as well, then the e-sata will be USB powered.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

The port looks like it could also take a USB connector is that what you mean and if so does that make the excercise pointless ie I would still have USB speed only?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

That port can used with a eSATA compatible external HDD for ultra fast transfer speeds from your computer to your external HDD and vice versa.

It can also be used as a USB port as well.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Should have added - you will have 2 ports on the back of the external drive enclosure - one marked USB and the other E-Sata.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As long as your caddy has a power source then it will run at e-sata speeds (using e-sata) in the connection. You can also run usb powered drives in it as well.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all that info.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...