We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wanted a good computer DVD playback program!.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

For some reason I cannot seem to playback DVD's on my computer. Having been recommended that I use VLC, I find for some reason that this program causes problems with the computer, and VLC as to be uninstalled.

The computer is using XP Home.

Any suggestions for a reliable download would be appreciated. I have used previously Cyberlink Power DVD 6, and if I am able to find the installation disk, I may give this an attempt. I believe it worked in the past?.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try this decoder for WMP XP. LINK

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

5 suggestions here.

I seem to remember GOM was often recommended before everyone started using VLC.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Thanks guys for the links, some interesting stuff.

rdave13.Just downloaded from the Koiskea link, and see if that resolves the problem.

robinofloxley. Read some of the various pros and cons, and will look further into the downloads if rdave13 method fails.

Thanks again, will tick as resolved, but anyone wanting to add, please do.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

spuds, How's the back-lit keyboard doing?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I use a program called Power DVD, which I bought a few years back (i forget the cost- but it wasn't that expensive.

I see there is a free version now, whether or not is is as good I do not know, but this is the link.

http://powerdvd.en.softonic.com/download

Terry

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

rdave13.

I purchased the Xenta SK-86EL from Ebuyer because it was offering a number of 'extras' like dimmer and full lighting, plus reviews appeared good. It looks the job, very neat and nice. Problem is, I haven't got around to fit and test yet!.

Terry Brown.

I have found my previous copy of PowerDVD 6, and seeing your link have downloaded a copy of PowerDVD 12. I think that trying to download you have to take a little care, because it seems to want to install a number of additions, that might want un-ticking or further understanding. I had to download the program twice, because the first install wouldn't show or activate properly.

Having attempted the second download, it completed, but I now get 3 messages stating that my system is not capable of using PowerDVD 12. (1) VGA card needs update (2) Not enough VRAM on VGA card (3) Remote Desktop under Windows XP is not allowed. So I will try my original PowerDVD 6 and see what happens?.

(At present, its all trial and experiment, time permitting).

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

rdave13

I forgot to mention that possible delays in fitting the keyboard, is partly due to a KVM switching arrangement that I use, so it might not be a simple job of 'just plugging in'. I have had to obtain some adapters, whether this will work through the KVM as I wish, not sure?.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Spuds The version of Power DVD that I have is 5, if you have 6 that that should be OK for watching VIdeo's (Forward & Reverse on speeds of up to 32x either way.

While the latest versions may offer some extra's, as a straight DVD player (or files from your harddrive), it takes a lot of beating.

Terry

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

You mught try this its free for today only though i'd say its your pc thats the problem especially if it has trouble with VLC which is practically bombproof DVD FAB Player

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

eedcam

Thanks for that, as you say, its probably my computer the problem. A reformat is about due?.

Looking at the program mentioned, it would seem that some XP users had problems, so I think, possibly best to leave it alone this time.

Would mention after removing PowerDVD 12 with Revo, it upset the computer, and I have had to re-install a couple of previous programs,to get some things working again. So likely a reformat, when time permits.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September