We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Programs Across Various Drives Help Needed!!

Hector Rex

Likes # 0

Ok, This is my first post on here so i'll give you a bit of info about the machine that I need a bit of help with.

I recently built a computer with the following parts:

Hardware

Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO 990X Socket AM3+ 8 Channel Audio ATX

Cpu: AMD Bulldozer FX-6 6200 Black Edition 3.8GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 CacheRetail

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Performance Memory Module 8gb (2x4gb) Ddr3 1866mhz Cl9 1.5v

Graphics Card: Sapphire 11200-00-20G HD7850 2GB GDDR5

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Heatpipe

Hard Drive: 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 7200RPM 64MB Cache

SSD: Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD - SATA-III 2.5" - Read 550MB/s Write510MB/s 85K IOPS Fast Performance

Disk Drive: Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x BD-RW with DVD±RW DL & RAM SATABlu-Ray Drive

Wireless Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN751ND Wireless-N150 PCI Adapter

Case

Casecom 6788 All Black Case

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

So yeah Quite a powerful machine, it can play any game i throw at it on ultra graphics without a problem and windows boots in under 7 seconds.

The Problem I installed the O/S on the SSD which is apparently slightly faster than the hard drive or so i am told, and it works great! the problem lies with my program files. I want the majority of my programs to run from the hard drive and to install to the hard drive. these include programs like Steam, Itunes, Office etc. as i have run out of space on the SSD. plus the windows libraries for pictures, vedeos, music and documents.

My question is how do i spread the program files across the two dives so everything runs smoothly? and how can i have the Hard drive as the default drive for programs if windows is not installed on that drive?

I have tried simply cutting and pasting but it seems a bit messy and some of the programs come up with errors when they run. the main program that needs to move is steam with it's 70+GBs and growing of games. i have 3Gb left :/

All help will be really appreciated! many thanks!

Chris

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Have a look here:

microsoft suggestion

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What you should have done was ask this question either before or as soon as you installed Windows on your SSD drive.

My set up is similar to yours except I have 2 1TB HDD's alongside my 128GB SSD.

After installing Windows 7 the first thing I did was to move all the MY folders to the D drive this ensures that all documents,videos, music and pictures are not taking up space on the SSD which you want to keep purely for OS and programs.

So to move the MY folders have a look here: Move folders. You should move all the folders across. MY Music,My Pictures,My Videos,My Documents.

You can move Steam also:Steam.Move itunes Itunes. That might not be necessary as itunes might be OK after you have moved the My music folder.I am not sure about that one as I move my folders before installing itunes so the library will automatically be placed in the moved My music folder.

As I said I have 2 1TB HDD's on 1 HDD is just my Steam folder which has around 450GB of games in it which means should I reinstall Windows a quick repair of Steam and I am good to go. The other HDD has all the My which means if I add music or videos etc they will go to the HDD and not the SSD. My SS has Windows 7 and around 50+ programs and still has about 70GB free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)