We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing new ram on XP

jonem81

Likes # 0

I am about to update my ram on my XP. I have 4 slots each with 256 ram, making a total of 1GB. I have been advised by Crucial regarding the correct ram to install which is a 2GB KIT - and this is the cheaper way. What I want to know, and what the suppliers haven't told me, is will I be left with 2 empty slots, or will the 'KIT' (2GB) cover/clip over all 4 slots? ( The max is 2GB for my PC, btw). A different supplier suggested 4x512 modules, but this is the more expensive way.

Thanks all,

jonem81

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

It will fit into only 1 slot - make it the first one. The others will be empty and that's fine.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Depending on how old your computer is you should find very little difference with the running of your computer adding extra ram.

I upgraded mine from 560mb I think it was to 2 Gb and made not the slightest bit of difference.

So don't expect miracles.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Crucial would know what their kits consists of, and this should have been explained at the time. If Crucial gave you a chip set reference number, then go back to their website or send an email and see what information is given.

What memory chips are we talking about, is it as old as PC133?.

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

marvin42 Thanks, marvin42, just what I wanted to know.

buteman

That's very disappointing! I've always been told that it would certainly speed up a PC, but I suppose it depends on what else is in the box! Mine is a Sony PCV-RS404 with 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 with HT, and Radeon 9200. The main circuit board is ASUSTek Computer Inc. P4SD-VL. Prior to buying a new HP PC, I used the (very reliable) Sony to author Dvd's which it did with ease. Howwever, the children have installed about 3,000,000 resource-stealing games, but they have now 'allowed' me to get rid of! My aim is to use the Sony Recovery Disc to reinstall the whole system, and start all over again. Hopefully, I shall get SOME increase in speed!

Thanks for your interest!

jonem81

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

spuds

The memory we are talking about is:

2GB kit (1GBx2) DDR PC2700.CL=2.5. unbuffered.NON-ECC.DDR333.2.5v.128Megx64..Part No: CT445277

Thanks for your response

jonem81

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

I'd suggest you backup important files and do a factory restore,you'll find your Sony's given a new life.

See how the PC is running, if it worked okish before factory restoring apart from a bit sluggish with 1 GB ram then adding more ram is wasting money .

If not then get some cheap used RAM from click here to make it 1.5 GB ,you'll be fine. I normally advise people not to spend over 15-20% of the realtime value of the PC on upgrades.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If your pc is "The max is 2GB for my PC" as you say in your first post then each slot can only take a max of 512mb memory stick.

And yet you say Crucial offered you 2GB kit (1GBx2) which is two sticks each one 1GB in size.

something not right. What is your motherboard? and make and model of your pc?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ah, I see you have already put your pc make and mobo in another post.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My apologies, I found it Part no: CT445277 and on further investigation it seems sony have restricted the bios to support the total memory to 2GB on that OEM board.

Crucial say: Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC), Maximum Memory: 2GB, Slots: 4 Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot. Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory

So if it were me I'd get the 2GB kit (1GBx2) and put that in and if it worked ok then I would try some extra sticks in the other two slots and see if it was recognised.

Make sure you put the two 1GB sticks in the correct slots, they should be colour coded to indicate pairs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...