We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there such a thing as an accurate bb speed tester?

Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Good evening folks

I checked my broadband speed today, as I'm sure Virgin told me they were upping my bb this month from my current 10Mb cable to 30Mb, but not had any written confirmation of it having happened. this is one of those 'free' upgrades that were issued....... two weeks prior to my price being hiked. 1st test I ran was thinkbroadband, that told me I was getting 9.49Mb d/load and 1.03 up, so I went and checked on the Virgin site for speed doubling, entered my postcode and was told it would take a 'little' longer for my area to be upgraded, now between Dec 2012 and May 2013. A little longer??? Anyway, I then thought I'd double check as I know there are variances in the online speed checkers, so I ran the one at speedtest.net, that one told me I had 31Mb d/load, 1.94 up and a ping of 16ms. Now I'm confused totally, that's a massive difference and apparently my area hasn't been upgraded, so how could have such a high d/load speed, so I went for a whole range to see if I get any sort of correlation broadbandspeedchecker gave me 10.28 down and 1.79 up bbmax gave me 21.34 down and 1.81 up with a ping of 26ms Uswitch told me 18.5 down and 1.9 up speed.io told me 25.9 down and 0.575 up and ping of 31ms All seems to be very random and little or no correlation between any of them. Does anyone know if this is caused by local issues at my end? (Contention etc) or are they all just rubbish?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you'll find that if you were paying for 10 Mb you will be upgraded to 20 Mb (that's what Virgin is telling me).

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I was told in my email (Which I've now lost) that I'd be doubled, as you say, but when I had an engineer round to fix a fault, he told me that whilst the higher speeds are being doubled, due to the fact that Virgin are no longer offering ANYTHING below 30Mb, that those people on 10Mb would be trebled, as 30Mb will now be the lowest speed they are transmitting once the upgrades are complete.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This is what my virgin media states "Your current speed is up to 10Mb. Your new speed is up to 20Mb"

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Woolwell

This is precisely why I'm trying do find a reliable speed check, I want to know if a)I've been upgraded? and b)What have I been upgraded to?

With the results I'm getting on the tests, you can see why I'm confused. If my engineer was correct, then 2 of those tests are accurate, if you (And my email) are correct, then I don't think ANY of them are any good, especially those 2 that say I'm hitting 30Mb if I only have 20Mb

I haven't managed to find anything in My Virgin Media that states my actual speed, other than I'm on the L package, but their tariffs now only appear to show 3 packages 30Mb, 60Mb and 100Mb.

Bugger!! MVM seems to have fallen over now for more upgrading, so can't access it all.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

OK, MVM is back up and accessing my bills it states for my broadband

Broadband L (Up To 30mb)

so hopefully, my engineer was not just winding me up. That being the case, I'll run some more tests over the coming days to see what I find.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You could try the Virgin Manual Speed Testing http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php that does the actual speed of your downloads, you need to do a couple of sums.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Broadband L should go up to 30 Mb. I have Broadband M. You may not be on 30 Mb yet especially if the Virgin Media site is still indicating next year.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Ofcom have made it quite clear to ISP's that the 'upto' is no longer allowed, and ISP's should provide "what can be expected on the line being used".

In my own case, I was getting about 1Mb on an 'upto' 10Mb line. After various modifications, it was 'officially' confirmed that my line should provide an 'expected' 6Mb. Overhaul I now reach about 5Mb as an average. Just done a speedtest.net check, using the nearest server, and the furthest server, and the speed is averaging 4.7Mb, which I consider acceptable at the moment.

Regarding upgrades, if its anything like my ISP, then I find that a promised increase in speed is usually a thing that you find out suddenly, by and after the upgrade being completed.

Using various speedtester's can have various results, so its best to get the one recommended and stick with that. My own ISP recommends speedtest.net, but they do have their own speedtest, which on test completion, sends the results to their engineer's for comparisons and future reference.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback