We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need help with touch screen monitor

Razoroth

Likes # 0

I recently acquired a Beckman Coulter touch screen monitor from my neighbor. It has a VGA, DVI, and a DB9 serial connection on the back. I have it hooked up to an older HP desktop via VGA, and bought a male>female DB9 cable and hooked it up as well.

My problem now is that I can't seem to get anything to work properly. The display works fine, clear picture and response, but the touch controls don't seem to work at all. I don't know what other steps I need to take in order to make this setup operate the way i want it to. There was no driver CD with the monitor, which is a few years old I'm assuming, and I can't seem to find ANY information on this thing when I Google it's model number or even the company itself other than other products the company makes now.

This has been a very disappointing project, as I wanted this touch screen setup off to the side of my main computer's monitor so i could access my "Home server" where i store all my network files and makes changes if needed without a mouse or keyboard taking up space on my desktop (or on the floor for that matter)

If anyone can help me get this thing working, I would appreciate it greatly.

The PC running the setup is on Windows XP professional, version 2002, service pack 3. If any other specs are needed I can post them.

Thanks for your time.

~DJ Raz~

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As you will be aware Beckman Coulter make lab equipment. Was this monitor part of a piece of lab equipment originally and not for a PC?

Like this post
Razoroth

Likes # 0

Upon doing further research, I did notice that the monitor itself is a DTX series touch screen, and some links did show it being used as part of a piece of lab equipment (very discouraging...) but I've also found a few links that mentioned them being used in point of sale (POS) situations. This leads me to believe there may be drivers I simply can't seem to find to make this work with a PC setup.

Here is the information off the sticker on the back of the monitor if it will help any:

DTx PC17102R Model: ROM770AIII DTx PN: 15736 DTx SN: BCB0509F00755 BCI PN/REV: A70381 REV:AA Rating: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.8-0.4A

The front logo says Beckman Coulter, and on the back label says Richardson Electronics.

If any of that information is helpful to get this thing working, that would be great. I bought a DB9 serial cable just for this so i hope I didn't waste my money...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Where did your neighbour get it from? My brief search leads me to suspect that you are going to struggle to get the drivers.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I might be wrong here but shouldn't your GPU support DVI-D which is 720p HD for these touch screens?

Like this post
Razoroth

Likes # 0

I'm not sure where it came from, nor does my neighbor. It was something they had laying around and didn't need anymore, and since it was touch screen capable I thought I could use it like I wanted to so I got it from them.

My desktop is an older HP, which does not have a DVI connection on the motherboard. I suspect I could install an aftermarket video card to accomplish this, but it's not worth it to buy more if I'm still going to have trouble getting the touch screen to work properly. And I'm not too sure on this, but I don't think the touch screen would work just by using a DVI connection rather than a VGA+DB9 would it? I assume I would still need the drivers (If there are any).

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

My guess it that touch screens are only 'Touch Screens' when coupled to Hardware and firmware that support these devices.

A 'Normal' PC Motherboard/software wont do it.

Try looking at soft/firmware downloads that support those PC'c now coming onto the market that are themselves 'Touch-screen'

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Why not just load win8 ?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Woody Why not just load win8 ?

Will that be enough? I am thinking Mobo- chip-set- Graphics would they no have a part to play here too?

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Win8 may not work but it is free and we know it is ok for some touch screens.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

From the initial post: "This has been a very disappointing project, as I wanted this touch screen setup off to the side of my main computer's monitor so i could access my "Home server" where i store all my network files and makes changes if needed without a mouse or keyboard taking up space on my desktop (or on the floor for that matter)".

If you have two monitors running off the same pc you do not need two sets of keyboards and mice. Did you intend to have 2 pc's side by side? If that is the case I wonder if a tablet would do the job? If you don't have 2 pcs then I don't see the requirement for a touch screen and am trying to work out how to switch from mouse to touch.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance