We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need help with touch screen monitor

Razoroth

Likes # 0

I recently acquired a Beckman Coulter touch screen monitor from my neighbor. It has a VGA, DVI, and a DB9 serial connection on the back. I have it hooked up to an older HP desktop via VGA, and bought a male>female DB9 cable and hooked it up as well.

My problem now is that I can't seem to get anything to work properly. The display works fine, clear picture and response, but the touch controls don't seem to work at all. I don't know what other steps I need to take in order to make this setup operate the way i want it to. There was no driver CD with the monitor, which is a few years old I'm assuming, and I can't seem to find ANY information on this thing when I Google it's model number or even the company itself other than other products the company makes now.

This has been a very disappointing project, as I wanted this touch screen setup off to the side of my main computer's monitor so i could access my "Home server" where i store all my network files and makes changes if needed without a mouse or keyboard taking up space on my desktop (or on the floor for that matter)

If anyone can help me get this thing working, I would appreciate it greatly.

The PC running the setup is on Windows XP professional, version 2002, service pack 3. If any other specs are needed I can post them.

Thanks for your time.

~DJ Raz~

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Woolwell- A valid set of points I missed that bit- also two computersneed only one screen/keyboard/mouse with a KVM switch-

does Razoroth know about those?

Of course only one machine can be accessed at any one time so a Tab may be a solution.

Like this post
Razoroth

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the replies so far, now that I am fully awake I can respond lol.

My main computer is a laptop, which i run a HDMI cable from to support a second monitor (Running a 22 inch in front of me, with the extended desktop going to the laptop's screen)

The second computer is a desktop, with only the touch display connected to it via VGA and DB9 serial (for the touch screen part)

They are two seperate setups, and I cannot install windows 8 or 7 due to hardware, it's an older PC without even a gig of ram lol. And hooking it up to my laptop is not an option for testing anything because my laptop does not have a DB9 serial port.

And yes, a tablet setup would be awesome, if I had the money. I'm only working with what i have here, because I don't have money to buy a tablet or a new pc for that matter. If I can't get this to work then I'll just use it as a regular monitor, but i would prefer getting the touch screen to work if at all possible..

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What about ignoring the touch screen part and using a kvm switch for the keyboard and mouse?

Like this post
Razoroth

Likes # 0

Isn't a KVM switch a hardware item? If so, again I have no budget to buy anything else, that's why I was hoping to get this to work with what I have.

The only other thing I could think to do was try to set up something through my wire network to "extend" my mouse and keyboard over to the other computer via ethernet. I've seen something like this done before, but do not know what software was used or anything about how it was set up. I'm fine with switching control back and forth between the two computers if I can accomplish that with software. Before I got these monitors, I only had my laptop and used the remote desktop application built into windows to access the desktop of the PC. This was kinda sluggish however and i got tired of using it that way.

Again, if it's not possible to get the touch screen part working I'd settle for a shared mouse/keyboard solution as long as it could be achieved without having to go buy more hardware.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia