We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recovery (D:) is full, can i empty it?

andy63walsh

Likes # 0

Recovery D: (10gb) says it is full, what does it do, can I empty it? All my stuff is in C: ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you are going to continue with this thread please "untick" the post on the previous page as a green tick will put off people from viewing as it indicates the thread is solved.

my other pc has C: 439gb with 341gb free and D: 17.5gb with 24.9gb free,

D figures correct?

C is your main drive looks like you have a 500Gb drive partitioned into C and D D again looks like it may be a recovery drive containing a set of images and tools due to its size.

As far as your first machine is concerned it is a rather small drive (by todays standards)I would agree with the POST that is ticked. Leave D alone incase you want to reset the machine and pass it on and just fit a second drive either internally or externally to give you the space you may need.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

Taff - What is the best way to back up C: then. Also I then guess I just go to My computer right click on D: and delete?

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

what if I copy D to an external drive and delete it on the laptop?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Copying D to an external drive was suggested some time ago and is advisable. You could then delete the data on the laptop and merge the D partition with C.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

some programs won't work now I copied to the external drive. Also how do you then merge D partition with C?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree, it would be foolhardy to delete D: without knowing what files are on there and why it is filling up.

If it has been filling up since W7 was installed then I would think it must be being used as an automatic scheduled backup of something.

andy63walsh has not said if the W7 was a clean install or an upgrade.

The make and model of pc and the prior Op Sys has not been stated.

Due to the small size of the total HDD I would be thinking to install a bigger one is the way to go.

Another point is that a Factory Restore also contains all the drivers needed.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

It was a clean install. Dell Vostro 1000, windows 7 ultimate, 2009 service pack 1.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

Still have the problem, could I just merge c and d and leave it like that? might work, if so how do i do it?

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

any more ideas any one?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I suggest you have a look at your settings for W7 backup. Here are a couple of guides with screenshots of what to look for. How to Geek and also neowin.net

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features