We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recovery (D:) is full, can i empty it?

andy63walsh

Likes # 0

Recovery D: (10gb) says it is full, what does it do, can I empty it? All my stuff is in C: ?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Yes. Their free version will do it so Ultimate shouldn't have a problem. Are you familiar with the program or have you just acquired it?

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

i have never used it or done a partiotion. Another thing happens all the time now, it keeps saying disk full and won't even send emails or download any more stuff, i have to clean temp files all the time.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Are you saying that the entire disk, (Both C & D partitions) are getting near to capacity? How big is the disk and what space have you got spare?

You need in general terms 15% spare as a minimum and you will struggle to work with less. Even defragmenting a drive will probably fail because of the lack of space.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

only recovery D

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

I'm on the wrong pc now, will let you know capacity at 10am

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Recovery partitions being full would not generate those messages unless you have cleared them out and they are in use. Check the C drive.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

the memory is C: 47.5gb - 17.4gb free D: (recovery) 9.99gb - 6208mb free

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

You need 7Gb free on the C drive and you have 10Gb more than that so that one's no problem. Have you actually decidd to get rid of the Recovery data? If so I suggest you delete the partition. Create a new one in it's place and then merge C & D.

Word of warning: It rarely happens but take a backup of all the data on C beforehand.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

I can get rid of the recovery data, the pc does not have lots of our data we need to be honest. How do I delete the partition and create a new one?

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

my other pc has C: 439gb with 341gb free and D: 17.5gb with 24.9gb free, this never gives me problems. Am I correct in thinking the D: is the main drive used on this one on this one?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer