We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recovery (D:) is full, can i empty it?

andy63walsh

Likes # 0

Recovery D: (10gb) says it is full, what does it do, can I empty it? All my stuff is in C: ?

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Be Sure of what it contains first. On many systems recovary D is where the files are if you need to restore your system.

Deleating it or the contents may leave you with many problems at a later date

I would suggest you obtain an external drive and transfer sume saved items to that

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

This sounds like the recovery partition which is normally hidden but about the right size. If you delete it you will lose the ability to return the PC to factory settings. You could copy the partition to an external drive so in theory you could put it back if required.

The alternative is to ensure that you have burnt the recovery DVD's for the system. In truth, do you need this space for something else? If you do it would perhaps be better to buy a larger HDD and clone the existing partitions (C&D) to the larger drive thereby keeping the information intact.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

I just put windows 7 on it, nothing on it is needed, we copied all the files we wanted, so it can go back to empty?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Most laptops come with a back to factory settings like Taff™ says.I have one on my desktop that says 30Gb and 10Gb free that is the recovery partitian that came with the computer.

Mine shows when going into my computer as Recovery D.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just put W/7 on it.

What were you using before that, maybe the recovery was for your old operating system.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

it must be the old op system, yes, if i delete it there is nothing i need there, i assume it might make a new backup of the new one ?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

No. It will just be an extra 10Gb of storage space. You could use a partition manager and format it and then merge it with the main partition.

One point that buteman may be alluding to is that if you used an upgrade disk to install W7, as opposed to a full retail version, you may need the old operating system re-installed to use the upgrade disk again.

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

i see, thanks

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

It could be of use if you ever sell the system.

If you delete it, it would only be recreated from the original set of Recovery DVDs.

(Upgrade disk can be used with a blank drive. It's not necessary for the old OS to be there. Plenty of guides around. eg here)

Like this post
andy63walsh

Likes # 0

I have Easeus Partition Master v3.5 Ultimate Edition, will this do it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers