We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

am i gigabit equipped or have i been misled

doubledontour07

Likes # 0

So I recently set up my home network with usb storage and in the process figured that I could transfer the bigger files faster by using cable rather than wireless. Problem is the max transfer I cant get is 3.25MB/sec which is pretty similar to what I get wireless.

So I did a little research to make sure I wasn't attempting something impossible and it seems I'm not. My NIC is Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet ( although I don't know any more details like model number etc) and I have it wired by cat 5e to my router Netgear DGND 3700. That in turn has my usb device connected to it as network storage.

Windows is telling me I have a 1Gbps connection yet data transfer of around 1GB takes 3 to 5 mins. I have checked the ports on the back of the router the manual says they support gigabit and the NIC is supposed to have the technology so what am I missing. I also checked the speed in properties and it only has option of 100 which I understand from a different post is likely to be because it isn't connected to hardware that accepts 1Gbps.

Hope I haven't confused you guys because I'm totally lost.

So Questions

Am I reading the speeds wrong Gbps MB/s Mb/s etc

Am I expecting to much is 3 to 5 mins a reasonable time at 1Gbps??

Have I missed anything?

Help and advice greatly appreciated

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 1

Bear in mind that, if you've connected a USB External Drive to the router, USB 2.0 only has a nominal data transfer speed of 480Mbps. This means you have already lost more than half of your 1Gbps network's potential speed.

If you have two computers, both with Gigabit network adapters and connected to Gigabit ports in a router, try transferring a large file directly between the two and see what speed you get.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?