We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Magical Jelly Bean

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've seen this free prog recommended, so thought I'd try it before needing it for real. On my nearly new W7 machine, the number it gives is very different from the one on the COA sticker. Any comments please?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's rubbish. You used to be able to use it to re-name the main user's name and find the OEM and Retail key. Back in the pre XP SP2 era. Surprised your AV hasn't kicked up a fuss about it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just checked Speccy and that gives the proper keycode.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Scroll down the first few Q&As here

Make a note of your COA number and/or put Scotch tape over it. Incase of scratching or wear.

(Speccy does not report correct COA on my laptop)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Had same problem with my Medion

Numbers did not match and WGA pronounced it as a pirate.

This was due to the company installing imaged hard drives. The system number will be the same as a batched image of the OS.

Don't worry about it as it won't be a problem if windows is allowing updates you will only nee the COA number if you are reinstalling from the DVD

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You will not be able to get the key to any pre-installed Windows (OEM) with any key finder today. With Retail then yes. Even Belarc or SIW will show a retail key.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Lotvic has the answers.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

OK, thanks all (unless lotvic wishes to enlighten us more?).

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If your W7 was pre-activated at factory then you have the manufacturers OEM SLP product key. That is different to the product key on sticker on the side of your pc.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

How did you all manage to read my post before I posted it? I thank you for the vote of confidence but I don't have the answers, only little bits.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic , you explain it better than I can. Jelly Bean only picks up the multi- product key (SLP I believe) but without the manufacturers Bios program to tie it in then it is useless. The OEM sticker on the case is the only one to use if using an OEM disk to do a fresh install.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features