We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Magical Jelly Bean

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've seen this free prog recommended, so thought I'd try it before needing it for real. On my nearly new W7 machine, the number it gives is very different from the one on the COA sticker. Any comments please?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13, I try to explain it.... yes what you say about Jelly Bean or any other key finder, They find the key that has been used for the installation on the pc. The key on sticker on side of pc has not been used so there is no way they can find that.

As you have said you use the OEM key on the sticker if you do a fresh install using a DVD. You have to do a phone activation for that key I think, as MS stopped them from being activated online.

Classic case of 'get a copy of Acronis and make an image' :)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[Just checked Speccy and that gives the proper keycode.]

I was on my other computer at the time which I bought without an operating system.

I bought W/7 from Amazon and installed that so there was no COA sticker I was going with the Keycode on the box and it was the same one that speccy showed.

Sorry for getting things wrong.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

**'Classic case of 'get a copy of Acronis and make an image' :) '**

Does that mean that a reinstall using Acronis won't require re-activation?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes. Whether you use an image or 'clone'.

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

OK, thanks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Unless it's a Dell.... the re-installation DVD I have with my XP Dell doesn't ask for a product key if installed on a Dell Bios and doesn't require activation, if not on a Dell bios then it does ask for product key and acts the same as an ordinary OEM DVD. (not got W7 Dell so don't know firsthand about that - I have retail W7 DVD) There is a way to check by looking at the files on the DVD but without looking it up I can't remember which)

Anyway Acronis is the way to go (for me) as can be back up an running with no messing about in about half an hour. No settings to reconfigure and all my Personal Data there at the point that I made the image.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers