We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer crashes on boot up

kev.c

Likes # 0

hi guys my first post-hope you may be able to help! i get to the user log in screen and the pc just powers down-sometimes i can boot into windows-but after 10mins it shuts down... i have been told to go into bios so it goes to bluescreenofdeath before a reboot-then i can get the fault code..not sure my m/b supports this

any help appreciated thanks

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you tried to see if it will start in safe mode.[just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts or F5.]

If an oldish computer check the air vents for fluff and dust.if any inside will also need cleaning.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

laptop.Desktop.Make and model.XP.W/7 or Vista.Ethernet or wireless.

That is just a few questions others will ask so that they can help.

Like this post
kev.c

Likes # 0

its a self build desktop i acquired from a guy-new asus m/b 2gb ddr3,win7 ultimate,p4 3.ghz,wireless,have checked for dust its all pretty clean in there,havent tried safemode will do that n report back..here is a clip of the pc doing its worst!.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVMQDEU6hFk

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

To get the error message on screen you have to alter the bios setting to: NOT to halt on all errors

Have you tried disconnecting the Harddrive, powering up and then seeing if it stays on. If so then you know it has something to do with the HDD.

Like this post
kev.c

Likes # 0

hardrive was pulled from my working dell machine and put into this one,so i know thats ok.i will report back with the error message once i sort the bios out cheers

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

So, let me get this straight - you took your HDD with W7 on it out of one pc and put it into another pc and booted up.

Is that what you have done? Please confirm.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

And is the W7 a Dell OEM pre-activated or is it a retail W7 that you installed on this HDD while it was in the Dell machine?

Are you intending this swap to be permanent or thinking you will be able to swap it to and fro back in and out the Dell?

Like this post
kev.c

Likes # 0

So, let me get this straight - you took your HDD with W7 on it out of one pc and put it into another pc and booted up...YES

is it a retail W7 that you installed on this HDD while it was in the Dell machine?...YES and i have another h/d with win7 installed and i put that in to test...the original dell drive took about 20mins before it crashed-i got fed up with all the crashing so i put it back in dell and am using that,the 2nd hd is now in the self build and that is the one that wont even boot past log in screen...i do not intend to keep swapping the dell drive over

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ah, right. The Dell W7 wouldn't work properly because it is Dell OEM and is tied to a Dell motherboard Bios. Dell W7 would check with the bios that it was on a Dell machine.

When you install an Operating system it configures the Drivers to suit the Hardware. Each type of motherboard requires a different set of drivers to be installed.

Retail W7 - How to Transfer your Complete Windows 7 Installation to a New Computer ClickHere

Like this post
kev.c

Likes # 0

lotvic,do you think i would solve the problem by getting new ram-i know the procedure is to barebones it all and see if it boots but i have only 1 stick of 2gb ddr3-this may be a faulty stick? i doubt the cpu is at fault otherwise it wouldnt boot and stay booted-powersupply poss?

also whats a good programme to measure my cpu temp-my bios doesnt seem to support cpu temp thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance